Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New intake for crossfire = more HP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter as there are other carriers. I think the post office will also deliver them. The shipping weight was listed as 20 pounds when I was tracking my Renegade.

By the way. I got my Renegade installed on Saturday and I'm really impressed with the additional performance. My 60-100's improved by several seconds; proof that the Renegade breathes much better than a Crossfire.
28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

I was planning on installing the renegade as is with no adjustments, and see what it does. Then raise the fuel pressure and adjust the timing and see what happens. It will actually make driving my crossfire fun again. I actually didn't drive it last summer, I drove my 85 vette instead.
I have no experience with the L83 motor / computer, but I would suspect that the computer is not going to compensate for any modification too well due to its "older" design.

If you are going through all this trouble to increase performance you might as well get into PROM burning and tune it the best you can.

CG

Nice lookin unit! Hope that it works well for you and gives your crossfire a nice kicker!
Andy Anderson

I have located some gaskets that I need for my install of the renegade. There sure is alot of wild pricing for crossfire tb gaskets, they range from $3 up to $16 a piece. Let the install begin.:thumb

I can already smell the tires burning. This intake is key to unlocking HP in a crossfire.:thumb

I can already smell the tires burning. This intake is key to unlocking HP in a crossfire.:thumb
I'm definitely smellin' somethin'! :booty

I'm definitely smellin' somethin'! :booty

Now, now "Evolution 1980", let's not be a skeptic and rain on the Renegade "parade".:chuckle

I'm glad to hear the Renegades are finally getting out there.

What's the consensus on calibration changes? I would think that such a big change in airflow and the power/torque peaks moving up will require a much different program in the chip.

With 82/84, 2xTPI systems, how to the experts address that issue?

What's the consensus on calibration changes? I would think that such a big change in airflow and the power/torque peaks moving up will require a much different program in the chip.

Quite true. If no serious programming is required, then it is probably no better and possibly not as effecient as the OEM manifold. Any one who installs one would be well advised to check thoroughly for any vacuum leak after installation, and continually there after. Good luck to who ever installs one. Seriously.

Most definitely will require a calibration overhaul.

Most folks do their own tuning. There is a system out there that converts a later dual-TBI ECM (late 80s early 90s) into a flash-based high-speed datalogging system that works well with the crossfire setup. For those that don't want to do this themselves...I'd guess that DCS would have to offer a calibration solution?

Oh, no doubt, me too! I think it's great that there are folks out there that are still trying to squeeze more power out of the Crossfire engine.

Now, now "Evolution 1980", let's not be a skeptic and rain on the Renegade "parade".:chuckle
I'm not trying to appear skeptical. In fact, I'm really not. I'd feel fairly confident that with almost 30 years to improve on the design, they likely have done that!
What I do give a slight :eyerole to is when I see people talk up a product, especially pre-launch, that supposedly have no vested interest in it nor empirical proof to back up their claims. It's one thing to be excited about a new product. It's another thing to plaster various websites with accolades that are unsubstantiated....unless there's some (undeclared) vested interest.

Oh, no doubt, me too! I think it's great that there are folks out there that are still trying to squeeze more power out of the Crossfire engine.

I'm not trying to appear skeptical. In fact, I'm really not. I'd feel fairly confident that with almost 30 years to improve on the design, they likely have done that!
What I do give a slight :eyerole to is when I see people talk up a product, especially pre-launch, that supposedly have no vested interest in it nor empirical proof to back up their claims. It's one thing to be excited about a new product. It's another thing to plaster various websites with accolades that are unsubstantiated....unless there's some (undeclared) vested interest.
Hmmm, I wonder who and what you are talking about...

Go Admins!!

CG

"What's the consensus on calibration changes? I would think that such a big change in airflow and the power/torque peaks moving up will require a much different program in the chip."

I would agree. I have both MAF ('87 Camaro) and MAP ('92 Corvette) based vehicles and despite what you read saying MAF based systems can adapt to changes more so than MAP, these statements are only true to a certain point. Both systems can benefit from a tune whenever something is changed to allow more air into the engine. The less work the computer has do to, the better mileage / drivibility you are going to have.

This of course, is based on my own experience and I am still learning / experimenting with this whole tuning thing.

CG

The Renegade is a sexy looking piece, and I don't have any doubt that it flows like a river...and that's what a manifold is supposed to do. My only hesitation surrounds the other things that have to be right before the benefits of the manifold kick in. Fuel management and timing, among other things have to be tweeked to match the manifold. I'd say the place for the Renegade to shine would be a modified motor with a cam, high flow injection and a good tune. Having said that, it's still a nice looking part!!!

Wow if I need to mess with the tune this thing is going to produce more power than I figuired. I better get a 4 point harness so I stay in the seat.:thumb

Wow if I need to mess with the tune this thing is going to produce more power than I figuired. I better get a 4 point harness so I stay in the seat.:thumb

cute;LOLand get a five point.

"Nelson 84"....what's your best guess on peak horsepower now that you have a Renegade installed and where in the rpm band is that power occurring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom