Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new intake ON!

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Got busy today.....finished up the exhaust on both sides...and then got after the intake...off with the old Edelbrock....

IMG_239211_11_06-vi.jpg

on with the new intake....
IMG_239311_11_06-vi.jpg

Had to take the fuel rails off to get to the bolts to attach the new intake manifold.

IMG_239611_11_06-vi.jpg

IMG_240011_11_06-vi.jpg

IMG_240811_11_06-vi.jpg

IMG_241611_11_06-vi.jpg

The stacks are coming, the original ones got dented in shipping so new ones are on the way...probably a few more weeks for those. The Accel dual output distributor is still 2 weeks out as well. Evidently Accel had a big run on the Chevy version and was backed up.

When I get the new stacks and the distributor in place, I will share some more photos....stay tuned.....

lots more photos at my web site at: http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/ 449 photos from the beginning to current

regards, Herb

ps, here is the rear end with SS emergency brake cables. They are Corvette on one end (near the pivot) and Explorer on the rear end with the proper clevis to attach to to the emergency brake on the rear backers.
IMG_241011_11_06-vi.jpg

Nicely done!

Your photos are incredibly clear! Plenty of them, to say the least! :D

SAVE THE :w

thanks......for the comments on the clarity of the photos....I try to take good photos....

Check out the web site...plenty more photos there......

I dunno Herb. That's pretty fancy for an old solid axle. I'll tell you what I'm gonna do; I have an old iron 2 bbl intake complete with carb I'll trade you even up just to save you the pain of people drooling all over your new paint and fenders.

Now am I a nice guy or what?

Tom

I dunno Herb. That's pretty fancy for an old solid axle. I'll tell you what I'm gonna do; I have an old iron 2 bbl intake complete with carb I'll trade you even up just to save you the pain of people drooling all over your new paint and fenders.

Now am I a nice guy or what?

Tom
is that 2bbl polished? can it be polished? I am very tempted!

Herb, you have been making great progress on your car and it all looks fantastic. However that intake set-up is just outta this world. It really makes a statement! I am drooling all over the keyboard here

Take care,
Brian

is that 2bbl polished? can it be polished? I am very tempted!

You bet Herb. Just give me a few days. Can you imagine the looks you would get with a fully polished and ceramic coated iron 2bbl intake and a fully polished Rochester 2 bbl with all the hardware chrome? ;LOL

It would make the magazines for sure.

Tom

Looks terrific - can't wait to see it with the stacks installed! :)

The next challenge will be developing a crankcase ventilation system that will work without a vent hole in the block, an air cleaner, and no intake plenum for manifold vacuum (and an oil fill point).

Herb, you have been making great progress on your car and it all looks fantastic. However that intake set-up is just outta this world. It really makes a statement! I am drooling all over the keyboard here

Take care,
Brian
Brian, what is your address? I can send you a towel, the same one I was using when I kept looking at it on the puter....don't worry, I have washed it several times, it should be clean!:L

I am talking with Harry at the body shop trying to sort out what we should do in the motor compartment. Originally I was thinking body color (C5 Torch Red), but then the last time I was there we started talking about Black Carbon Fiber for the inside complete area......everytime I talk with him I get further into trouble......he has good ideas and I just start drooling all over again, so on second thought, I still need the towel...sorry....Herb

The next challenge will be developing a crankcase ventilation system that will work without a vent hole in the block, an air cleaner, and no intake plenum for manifold vacuum (and an oil fill point).

Herb,

Is that 2 bbl starting to look good yet?

hmmm.....started thinking about the valve cover spacers. I can get from summit spacers that are over an inch tall, that should be plenty high to put an -AN fitting into it, one on both sides that go across the back to a central point where I can put a breather/oil filler......how does that sound?

I talked with Bob Ream, guy that put the whole EFI system together for me and after some discussion, I am agreeing with him, no filter....run open stacks, like he said, what are you going to do, drive it through a dust storm? It isn't like the car gets driven thousand and thousand of miles a summer....and if need be, worse come to worse, I could always get the individual stack filters that fit in or K&N individual filters......am I missing anything else?

If I am, it is probably because I don't understand, you will have to help me here........

thanks, Herb

Herb,

Is that 2 bbl starting to look good yet?
oh crap is it.....the water is around my neck and getting deeper all the time!!!! If anyone has a life preserver, please toss it my way....you know, when I had my 1966 VW in high school and I put TWO Holly two barrels on it I thought I was really screaming, this is light years beyond that and I am no smarter now than I was then, just got more Ben Franklins to toss at it now!!!:rotfl

That is what I'm also curious about, I have an old set of those finned Valve covers I'd love to use so when you get the developement work done fill us in. I have always liked the old style covers best.

That is what I'm also curious about, I have an old set of those finned Valve covers I'd love to use so when you get the developement work done fill us in. I have always liked the old style covers best.
If it is just a matter of getting them plumbed so that they can "breathe and also be used for oil fill", that I think I can make look pretty good by using the valve cover spacers.....now if it is more than that...uh oh, I don't understand what I need to do then....someone needs to get me some detailed description of what the problem is and what isnormally done to solve it...then I can figure out what to do in my set up...

Herb

I have thought about those valve cover spacers too. I have a plan developing for an engine for my '59 and the breather problem is one issue I have thought about for a while. A couple of years ago there was an article in one of my magazines that I haven't been able to find on boring the road draft and internal breather holes in a 350 block. Then you could run the '60s style 327 pcv equipment. This is probably not an option for you with the engine in the car so here is another idea that Smokey Yunik used on his road race engines.

He used a tube arrangement from the top of the valve covers (your lines from the spacers would do the same) and ran them into the top of a quart size tank mounted on the firewall. The tank had 2 normal breather caps on the top of it. Coming out of the bottom of the tank was a small line to return any oil blown into the tank back to the engine. You could cut your dip stick tube and solder in a T connector to connect the oil return to the engine. If you made this line 3/8- 1/2" or 6AN it wouldn't take too long to add oil to the engine. Problem solved. You now have a breather system and oil fill location.

One of these should do the trick. Just run your return line from the petcock fitting on the bottom. Moroso has all sorts of stuff to solve most any unususal problem. I can spend hours looking through their catalog. Take the Moroso part number and go to Summit's site. Search by brand for Moroso products then add the Summit prefix to the Moroso part number for the item you are looking for and search again. You will find that Summit stocks almost everything in the Moroso catalog.

Tom

here is another idea that Smokey Yunik used on his road race engines.

He used a tube arrangement from the top of the valve covers (your lines from the spacers would do the same) and ran them into the top of a quart size tank mounted on the firewall. The tank had 2 normal breather caps on the top of it. Coming out of the bottom of the tank was a small line to return any oil blown into the tank back to the engine. You could cut your dip stick tube and solder in a T connector to connect the oil return to the engine. If you made this line 3/8- 1/2" or 6AN it wouldn't take too long to add oil to the engine. Problem solved. You now have a breather system and oil fill location.
Isn't the oil captured in that tank going to be dirty, nasty blow-by? I don't think I'd want to dump that crap back into my engine. It's probably okay for a road race car, since it keeps the oil level up (and the motors get torn down after each event anyway). For a street driven vehicle, I think a vented catch-can with some sort of petcock/drain assembly would be a much better idea.

Good point. You could always put a fitting on the bottom with a line valve one way and the petcock down. Then you could drain the reservoir with the petcock and open the line valve to fill the oil. Now you could T into and fill through the AN line to the valve cover spacer instead of the dip stick tube.

MOR-85465 at Summit

85465_part.jpg
mor-85465.jpg

The challenge on Herb's engine is that the 60's PCV system used a fresh air intake from the air cleaner plumbed to the vent hole in the back of the block, and the "exhaust" side used the oil fill tube with a hose to a full manifold vacuum port on the base of the carb, downstream of the guts in the carb; Herb's setup has none of these, and there's no plenum to be a manifold vacuum source.

The 70's PCV system (without the block vent hole) used both valve covers, but it also needed a fresh air intake from the air cleaner into one valve cover and a PCV valve and hose from the other valve cover to the intake, neither of which exist on Herb's setup.

Almost any breather/can setup (like the plumbing arrangment from valve cover spacers mentioned) will only provide crankcase pressure relief, not ventilation; that works fine on race cars where some level of hot oil vapors coming out of breathers isn't a big deal, but for a street-driven car, the idea is to capture the hot crankcase vapors and route them back into the intake to be burned, not to mist them all over the engine compartment.

This will take some more thought... :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom