Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Leak...What is it?

leeboy66

Corvette
1977 Bright Yellow Coupe
I went out to the garage last night to check on my baby (1977 L48 4-speed) and noticed a lot of reddish brown fluid under the front of the car. I'm thinking it's power steering fluid. Does anyone know what this leak could be?

could be tranny fluid,coolant or p/s fluid...

I went out to the garage last night to check on my baby (1977 L48 4-speed) and noticed a lot of reddish brown fluid under the front of the car. I'm thinking it's power steering fluid. Does anyone know what this leak could be?

Which reservoir is low?;)

Oil and coolant levels are fine. It's a manual tranny, so i don't think it's tranny fluid. I have to check the power steering fluid this afternoon.

Oil and coolant levels are fine. It's a manual tranny, so i don't think it's tranny fluid. I have to check the power steering fluid this afternoon.

You should always use P/S fluid. When the pumps leak, some guys use tranny fluid. While this swells the seals, and stops the leak for awhile, it softens the seal too much, and they go out in a year.:)

You should always use P/S fluid. When the pumps leak, some guys use tranny fluid. While this swells the seals, and stops the leak for awhile, it softens the seal too much, and they go out in a year.:)

What color is P/S fluid? The stuff under my car is reddish brown.

It definitely has to be ATF. Any suggestions as to how I should stop the leak. What should I try first?

It definitely has to be ATF. Any suggestions as to how I should stop the leak. What should I try first?

Don't rule out p/s or brake fluid.

When I got my Camaro, the master cylinder seals were worn out. Water had gotten into the system, and oxidized the master cylinder housing. The leaking fluid was therefore reddish brown.

It was a little difficult to actually detect the leak... it was from behind the master cyinder. I replaced the master cylinder (and flushed the system) - leaks went away.

Good luck.

Ralph

Don't rule out brake fluid.

When I got my Camaro, the master cylinder seals were worn out. Water had gotten into the system, and oxidized the master cylinder housing. The leaking fluid was therefore reddish brown.

Good point.

Don't rule out p/s or brake fluid.

It was a little difficult to actually detect the leak... it was from behind the master cyinder. I replaced the master cylinder (and flushed the system) - leaks went away.

Good luck.

Ralph
Mine did the same thing.
OP, Where is the spot forming? You should see what's leaking by looking directly above the puddle. That will give us a better clue to what it is

Try finding where it is leaking from.
Finding were the leak is coming from is the first step then we can give an educated guess what the possible cause is and how to resolve it. Let us know what you find...;)

my 80 was leaking redish brown fluid. turned out to be power steering fluid (which was prolly why it was gettin harder to steer haha). but it was coming from the PS control valve, and im in the process of changing out the seals.

Check the power steering control valve. A common failure is the seal between the fluid side of the valve and the grease side. Mine failed recently - the fluid was red because the PO used ATF instead of the proper PS fluid. I purchased a new valve from ZIP and now all is well.
Jim

Check the P/S hoses for leaks. Mine was leaking on inside bend of one
JU.

It was one of the hoses. I just replaced it today. Added like a quart of P/S fluid and I'm good to go. Thanks everyone for your advice. CAC is awesome!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom