Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 New LT4

1996 LT4 Topic

jeepcoma

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Hi everyone, long time lurker doing research here but I just picked up an LT4 so thought it was time to say hi. :w

Got a beautiful low mileage CE from Roger's in Orlando. Wife and I flew down and they met us at the airport with the car (it was a surprise birthday present for her) and then we had a nice vacation and road trip back up north. Had just over 8,000 miles on it when we picked it up, it's now just over 11,000. In short, this car will be driven! Roger's was great to work with; they are pricey but if you are looking for an older like-new Corvette, they are well worth the cost. As far as my research has taken me, this is one of only 26 cars configured in this manner (convertible + hard top option, RTD system, TPMS, etc) and it was exactly what I was looking for, and I've been looking for a long time. We stored the hard top at Roger's for the first part of our vacation, and managed to cram two weeks of luggage into the car later with the soft top down and the hard top installed. I was worried about luggage, and since it was a surprise I couldn't tell my wife how to pack, but we got it all to fit.

Have a '95 Camaro Z/28 convertible as well (with almost 200,000 miles on the LT1), but it's an auto and I always regretted not having a manual. So, when we started thinking of a Corvette, naturally it had to be a manual. We liked the C4 generation best; I find it to be a good blend of modern comforts and technology, but old-school feel (love the seats and cockpit like dash), without being overly burdened by needless electronics. I'm a big fan of the LT1, opti and all, so I was looking for those years. Since it had to be a convertible, the ZR1 was out, and my wife wanted silver so the LT4 CE was the natural fit. Last of the C4s, and I wouldn't trade it for any C5. :thumb

Had to stop for new wipers on the way back, unfortunately they whacked against the hood several hours later when I finally stopped for gas and turned the wipers off. D'oh! Some research shows this is a pretty common problem. After trying several sets, I'm using the Rain-X Fusion wipers, which are a pretty good fit but I'll need to grind a millimeter or so of plastic off the top of the driver's side to get it to cleanly clear the underside of the hood. The 6-way power seats were so comfortable, it just sucked up the miles and 12 hour driving days were no problem at all. Mileage was pretty good, we got around 25 mpg just keeping up with traffic at 80-85. Stretches of 55-65 mph netted an easy 30 mpg, which was a nice surprise, but that 6th gear is really pretty ridiculous for the speed limits we have up north so I think 4.11s are in the future at some point. 500 miles out of a tank of gas is a bit less than double what I can comfortably get out of the Camaro, which makes for a real nice road trip.

It's also got the original run-flats on it, I'm not really sure what to do with them. Would any collectors be interested in them? The original owner removed the wheels and tires and kept them in climate controlled storage, so the most wear they got was the ~3,000 miles on our trip back home. They are like new. I almost feel bad about driving on them, since I'll just run them into the ground, and I know they are not made anymore.

Anyway, happy to join the club :beer I saved the wave, but alas there weren't many other Corvettes out there in the rain.

Fun car. Way to go.

welcome, you have a great car. I love the LT4 and the 6 speed. I have had mine for about a year now. I find it hard to keep the speeds legal its just wants to go. Yes 6 th gear is basically for about 65mph and up. Enjoy it and drive it like you stole it,,

Great looking LT4; I'm sure LT4Man will be pleased also. I had a 94 vert with the removable hard top and the lack of luggage space was a problem when it was on. Solved this with a factory luggage rack - they are not available any longer. Did the same with my 66 convertible and 56 convertible - both had luggage racks. Did not have a luggage rack on my 91 vert. You have found that riding in the 96 is a lot of fun; just watch the wear on the seats as they are the first to show significant wear. About the run flats, if you don't have a spare tire, you really should use the run flats even tho they ride rougher and are noiser. Also, the tire pressure sensors are no longer available, so be very careful when changing your tires. Only source is the salvage market.
Again, great looking car and welcome to the CAC.
Barrett

Congrats on your purchase of a low-mile LT4 anniversary edition. I always loved the LT4 CE's.
You're not too far from me so maybe we'll see each other in passing sometime this summer!

Best of luck with the car.

-JS

Very nice CE. I loved the LT4 since I first drove my polo green 96 in 99. You will not be disappointed
with the performance. Good luck with it, and welcome aboard.:thumb

Nice CE!
And :welcome

Enjoy your new C4 and the forums!
:wJane Ann

Congratulations on the LT4, it’s a great motor. The CE package always catches my eye when I see one in traffic. I’ve had my LT4 for 15 years and it still puts a smile on my face.

B17Crew
:w

Nice choice.

Had an LT4 CE Z51 Vette once also. Bought it from Rogers also.

Since it had to be a convertible, the ZR1 was out, and my wife wanted silver so the LT4 CE was the natural fit. Last of the C4s, and I wouldn't trade it for any C5. :thumb

Outstanding selection! I have to say, you've made an excellent choice.:happyanim:

And btw, you're one lucky man, to have a wife that wants a Corvette for her birthday! :birth

I wanted a silver LT4, so it was the CE or nothing! I suppose it won't hurt the resale value, and the sebring silver is great color.

And I tend to agree with you about this car over any C5, although if a C5 could tempt me, it would be a C5 Z06.

Welcome to the CAC and while you're shifting the awesome LT4, don't forget to Save the Wave! :Steer

:thumbCongrats on LT 4. You are near me I am in Greenwich C t. I will be inn Guilford Ct in July for the Club Corvette Show at Moroso's Factory Good Luck to you . I have a Torch Red L T 4 look for you:beer

Just picked up a 1996 LT-4 Polo Green with 33,000 miles on it. This will be my first Vette. It had high 32,000 but put 400 on it driving it home.

Some photo's

Here are some pic's, that is if this works. It does still need a good cleaning.........

Last edited:
Here are some pic's, that is if this works. It does still need a good cleaning.........

Nice photos!

I love the fact that a C4 with the LT4 motor looks just like any other late C4. Until you open up the hood, like in the photo below, and then it looks like a GS.

Which makes it a wolf in sheep's clothing, because when you put your foot into the accelerator, it takes off.

Check out the comments about the LT4's horsepower here at the CAC:
Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C4 Corvette | 1996 Corvette | 1996 Corvette Performance Review

Thanks, that is why I like the LT-4, a real sleeper. That is if you can ever call any Corvette a sleeper.............. ;)

Im a new proud owner of a Torch Red LT4 with just under 60k miles. It has Grand Sport stripes & rims(the original owner did that) as well as long tube headers and a Borla exhaust with the older ZR-1 style tips. The car is a beast. I plan on spending plenty of time in this forum.

new lt4

I bought my LT4 from Roger and I saw your car for sale there. He had only 2 CE LT4'S I bought the other one. T he reason I didn't buy your was Roger wanted $3,000 more for the hardtop and since I live in Tampa I would never use the top. Mine has 11,000 miles on it now. It TOPFLIGHTED in the Jan2013 NCRS regionals 98.6% and it would have scored higher if I didn't over clean/shine the motor. You'll love the car great motor and Roger has the best cars for sale. Roger brings cars for sale to the NCRS Kissimmee. He is good friends with my best friend who sells cars to Roger. Just a thought!! Take you original tires/ wheels off the car and store them indoors and buy replacement tires and wheels. The tires are at least 17yrs old. one blowout and your done. The tires/wheels are worth a lot of money store them if you decide to have your car judged. Their are a lot of C4 people who want to buy them from you for judging NCRS.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom