Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new member-Probably an old question

Kenney

Corvette
1987, Red, Convertible
Greetings from the great white north…This year I broke down and purchased my dream car (at least my dream car in 1987) a red 1987 convertible, black top, grey interior, 42,000 miles. I joined CAC with the intention of catching a few corvette secrets. My first dilemma is the post traumatic stress that I’m feeling as I put my car away for the winter…we have already had some snow and I think I’ve pushed my luck already by still having it out.

My real question…the rear deck that hides the top is discoloured, almost cloudy like sun bleaching. Is that the clear coat or the paint? What causes this? Is it normal? And most important…what can be done to fix it? The rest of the car is in immaculate condition.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

:w Hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center.......Congrats on the new Vette.......sounds like the clear coat coming off.....Do you have a picture of it?

Sorry no photo…it’s so slight that it doesn’t show in photos…but bad enough that I notice it…I’ve owned at least 30 cars in my life and never seen the paint do this…It’s like a milky shadow…and only on the cover…Thanks

Daryllawman said:
:w Hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center.......Congrats on the new Vette.......sounds like the clear coat coming off.....Do you have a picture of it?

Paint applied to different surfaces/materials can react differently. That is probably why you notice it only on one panel. Sounds like either the clear coat is beginning to separate from the base coat or the base coat itself is reacting with the deck in some manner. Why not just get the top deck repainted and see what happens?

You are probably right…wanted to poll the masses before taking it into the paint shop over the winter

tnovot said:
Paint applied to different surfaces/materials can react differently. That is probably why you notice it only on one panel. Sounds like either the clear coat is beginning to separate from the base coat or the base coat itself is reacting with the deck in some manner. Why not just get the top deck repainted and see what happens?

Great looking '67 you sould be proud...
67HEAVEN said:
Welcome aboard Canuck. ;)

Sure sounds like the clear coat has lifted and what you are looking at is the bleached, faded base paint. Red paint without clear coat is a bummer for fading!!

But what do I know, I'm from the Ottawa Valley ...... :D

Ron ... :w

Hey Kenney,

Welcome to the CAC.
(at least my dream car in 1987)
:L Nothing wrong with 87!

I thought when you talked about "post traumatic stress" you were having problems with your posts on the CAC :s

Tammy

Not that there is anything wrong with an '87, it's just taken me 17 years to get around to buying it...where does the time go?
MsSchroder said:
Hey Kenney,

Welcome to the CAC.
:L Nothing wrong with 87!

I thought when you talked about "post traumatic stress" you were having problems with your posts on the CAC :s

Tammy

I don't know about you we didn't have enough sun this summer for fading or so I thought...thanks for the info...looks like I'm getting some new paint...I was hoping for an easy fix...hey what are you doing on the computer shouldn't you be getting ready for the big "Bush" visit?

Thanks,

Kenney
RonJ said:
Sure sounds like the clear coat has lifted and what you are looking at is the bleached, faded base paint. Red paint without clear coat is a bummer for fading!!

But what do I know, I'm from the Ottawa Valley ...... :D

Ron ... :w

Kenney said:
snip
My real question…the rear deck that hides the top is discoloured, almost cloudy like sun bleaching. Is that the clear coat or the paint? What causes this? Is it normal? And most important…what can be done to fix it? The rest of the car is in immaculate condition.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Sounds like a little haze comming on and my guess is that it will buff out. Even if it don't it's worth a try before you go to the expense of painting it. Use the fine/finish compound and a final buff sponge pad and give it a try. You may even be able to do it by hand as a test but you have to get the surface warn/hot from friction to get the clear coat to flow. If you lift color you know you have no clear coat left. In that case if you do get the color back you'll need to clear coat it for the color to stay bright.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hey thanks Dad, any suggestions on a good buffing compound...the haze is not that bad, but I can see it and it bothers me every time I stand back and admire the car...my wife doesn't understand and she holds the purse strings when it comes to new paint

Kenney

Dad said:
Sounds like a little haze comming on and my guess is that it will buff out. Even if it don't it's worth a try before you go to the expense of painting it. Use the fine/finish compound and a final buff sponge pad and give it a try. You may even be able to do it by hand as a test but you have to get the surface warn/hot from friction to get the clear coat to flow. If you lift color you know you have no clear coat left. In that case if you do get the color back you'll need to clear coat it for the color to stay bright.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

My cousin had an 84, and the whole car was this way, so dont feel too bad. I haven't talked to thedetailingdude in a while, but you might try to PM him. I think he is very good at this stuff. Try doing a search in the care and detailing. Good luck.

Craig

Don't have any idea what to recommend, I use all 3-M products and when I buy I spend $50 to $100 US for it in bulk. Go to an auto paint supply house and tell them you need a little POLISHING compound for a finish polish of clear coat. I have used Dupont 7 in the past but not sure what is available to the consumer any more. If you want the 3-M numbers I can post them tomorrow.

11/30/04 update

3-M clear coat safe polishing compound number is 05993 that I'm using on a finish pad.

Dad, send money ... oops, wrong Dad!!;LOL

In time the convertible top will sometimes leave a "friction line" around its "footprint" on the rear deck ... and if this happened then maybe the previous owners had it (the deck) repainted .... and it was a less than factory job. Just a thought!

Kenny,

Welcome to CAC.... I too am a new Vette owner. It was not my dream car, but since buying one, it is everything I dreamed a car to be!!!!

You'll love this site...it's better than chruch! :)

Welcome to the forum from another '87 red convertible owner! Great car!! :) You picked the right place to come for info on vettes. Folks in this forum are tops when it comes to helping out!

You are right this is a great site, nice car, love the red...

Welcome to another Canuck! I have near the same car and I have to wonder why only the deck within the perameters of the top is affected. Mine shows no difference other than the ring it gets where the seal rests, and that is easily buffed away with a soft cloth. If anything, one would expect the deck within the roof area to be in better condition than the rest due to the top protecting the top cover from the sun. Is there any sign of peeling or a paint change in the past or?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom