Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member question

Don61

Corvette
1981 coupe white w/red int auto
Hi everyone, I just recently joined & this is my first attempt at accessing information from this site. I own a 1981 Corvette, white w/red interior, L81-350 & auto trans. My question concerns the horns. First I cannot locate the actual horns. I've been told that they're above the frame under the driver's side fender but I cannot find them. Can anyone tell me how to get to them? The hron is shorted somewhwere as they just started blowing all by themselves while the car was sitting in the driveway. I had to pull the fuse to stop them. But the fuse also controls other things & I would like to just unplug the horns until I can find the short (most likely in the column). Any help would be appreciated.:)

the horns themselves are located to left and right
respectively of the headlights in the nose
of the vette.
you need to be a contortionist to get to them....Good Luck!!!!
There is a relay down near the fuse block.

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your 81. The AIM has diagrams of how the cars were put together on the assembly line, original part numbers, installation notes, options, etc.. Knowing how the car was assembled is often helpful when taking one apart. If you intend to do your own maintenance, you might want to consider purchasing the 81 GM chassis service manual.

Do you have an owner's manual for your 81? Lots of very valuable informaiton in the owner's manual.

Congrats.

:thumb

Last edited:
the horns themselves are located to left and right
respectively of the headlights in the nose
of the vette.
you need to be a contortionist to get to them....Good Luck!!!!
There is a relay down near the fuse block.

Thanks for the quick reply & info. I'll try to locate them. Now my passenger headlight won't go back down. Is there a common problem for these? I figured it's probably a vacum leak somewhere.
Thanks again,

Don

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your 81. The AIM has diagrams of how the cars were put together on the assembly line, original part numbers, installation notes, options, etc.. Knowing how the car was assembled is often helpful when taking one apart. If you intend to do your own maintenance, you might want to consider purchasing the 81 GM chassis service manual.

Do you have an owner's manual for your 81? Lots of very valuable informaiton in the owner's manual.

Congrats.

Thanks for the reply & info. I plan on purchasing the manuals in the near future.

Don

:w Don & Welcome :thumb

Here is a copy from the "1981 Corvette Shop Manual (ST-364-81)" ;)

attachment.php

Now I have been told NOT ALL 1981's have the horns located in the front as shown by the Shop Manual... they are in the front on my 1981 ;shrug

Bud

Attachments

• 81Horns.jpg
    81Horns.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 106
My 81 AIM shows one on the backside of the bumper support and one on the headlight reinforcement.

81Horns001-1.jpg

My 81 AIM shows one on the backside of the bumper support and one on the headlight reinforcement.

81Horns001-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, looks like I really need to get one of those AIM books!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom