Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Member, Retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant, Security Forces

Kmorris

Corvette
2004 2D Coupe, Black
I purchased a 2004 and need some assist with figuring out why the climate control digital display is not illuminating. My guess is the LED light is out. Any secrets to know before I remove the climate control and see about replacing the LED? I do not believe it is a fuse because all buttons work changing the functions. The passenger side temperature control knob is not illuminating either. All other LEDs on radio and control panel knobs work. Appreciate any pointers.

Keith Morris
CMSgt (Ret).

First off Keith, a Welcome is in order. :w The C5 is a great car. The issue you are experiencing is a common problem. I just don't remember exactly what the fix is.....not replacing the LEDs. IIRC it's just a matter of cleaning the connectors on the back side of the controller. I'll do some research and see if I can come up with the procedure.

OK, it's a little more than cleaning. The problem is, more than likely, the solder joints are bad. But they can be repaired by re-soldering the bad joints.

Remove the 4 screws from the back of the HVAC control.

Remove the 4 screws holding the power supply board to the back cover, and flip the board over.

There are 8 surface mount components, these are the "culprits".

With a soldering iron, touch up the solder joints on these components, be careful, due to the bad soldering, they may move from their locations on the board, if they do, use a pair of tweezers of small needle nose pliers to re-position them and hold them in place while you solder one side. don't use a soldering gun or too much heat, chip components tend to get damaged by too much heat

if you have doubts as to your ability to complete this successfully, there is a guy who will fix them and offer a warranty. David Ruberg, 123 W. Sarnia St., Wionona, MN 55987 email: digitalguy_1@charter.net

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!

Climate Control Display

Thanks for the assist by all. Once it warms up here I will pull the climate control module and check the connections. Will let you know what happens.

Keith

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service.

Mac

I had the same problem with my display. All I did was resolder a few connections on the circuit board, and it works fine. There is a fix thread here or on the Corvette forum.

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I have.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Corvette Action Center

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service :pat

-Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom