Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New mufflers, "X" pipe question

DJ's LT1

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe
I will be replacing my stock mufflers with the Magnaflows that many here at the CAC seem to be so pleased with. My question is about an "X" pipe that some have referenced and what exactly it does. How much difference will adding the "X" pipe make with the muffler upgrade compared to just doing the mufflers? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!

This is what I did.

I have an LT4 with muffler eliminators.

I removed the OEM resonator. Installed a Magnaflow 3" x-pipe in place of the resonator. Ran 3" pipes to Magnaflow 3" mufflers. Put a custom Magnaflow tip on each muffler.

X-pipe causes the exhaust gases to scavenge themselves thru the pipe. The exhaust gas, because of the firing order of the engine, actually helps pull the exhaust from the exhaust manifolds.

My Vette is much quieter and very much faster now.

I should have done this a long time ago. Technology is better today than when my Vette was new.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

lt4man, thanks for the info. I will definately look into including the x pipe when I install the new Magnaflows. How much did the total exhaust mods set you back?

A friend of mine did the exhaust work for me. I can say if you had the same things done to your Vette, the total price (parts & labor) would be south of $1,000. How much south would depend on where you would purchase your parts and if you could find an exhaust guy who was not greedy!

I know I got a great deal. I have been in the industry for over 30 years.

Price quote

I just got a quote on the exhaust system your talking about on 4-12-06.It was 1197 without the x pipe.1320 with, and He said the book showed around 1800. HE also said I would gain around 20HP. This was at a shop in Indiana called MUFFS & TAILS.

The Magnaflow website list several authorized dealers in my area, and I will start getting some quotes next week. Like many of us here, the list of mods can be endless, but I think that starting with the exhaust and/or intake systems can yield the most "bang for the buck". I'll keep you guys posted, Thanks!

To TIMS-98Vette & DJ's LT1:

Magnaflow's list price (the price listed on their website) is just THAT: a LIST price.

The mark-up on most of their products is anywhere from 100% to 150%!

The x-pipe I used is a #10792 with a LIST price of $218.81.
I believe my exhaust man paid somewhere between $80-$90.

So, when you discuss (negotiate) this work with an exhaust fabricator, you need to keep in mind they have a big percentage to play with pricing the parts for you.

I never negotiate their labor rate. They deserve that.

As far as the parts go, that is another story altogether.

Go to the Magnaflow website. Write down what parts you need to order. Add them up & then mark them down. Add that to the labor you have been quoted. Now you can talk intelligently. A smart exhaust man will work with you. He does not want to see a $900-$1,000 job walking down the street because he wanted another $200.

Let us know how this works out.

My exhaust man is in Bridgeview, IL. He is excellent AND reasonable. Worth the drive if you can save several hundreds of dollars. Did I say he was also the BEST welder I have ever met? Well, he is! And I have met many welders during the past 35 years.

lt4man, thanks for the info and advice. I'll keep you posted.

Did this part # cover the entire distance of where the resonator would have been and was it a direct fit with a stock exhaust..was this part 2 1/2 or a 3 inch pipe....thanx....G

Magnaflow part #10792 is 14" long. Short pieces of pipe need to be welded in front of and at the rear of the x-pipe. This is why one needs to find an exceptional welder who can bend pipe well.

I am putting together a pictorial showing step-by-step what needs to be done to install this system.

I used the 3" variety of their x-pipe.

"I am putting together a pictorial showing step-by-step what needs to be done to install this system."
Looking foward to it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom