Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New owner. Correct Temp

M

madpammy

I have my first Corvette. '93 red coupe 59,000 miles. I noticed the temp around 230 sitting still and 200 - 210 on the road. The outside temp was in the 70's. Is this normal. I sees ome have put in 160 thermostat or is the car designed to run that hot. It does seem to have a smoother idle when around 220. When the fans kick on, the temp drops to 220 or so before they turn off. Thanks for any input. Also oil tem gets over 210 also but slower.

I have my first Corvette. '93 red coupe 59,000 miles. I noticed the temp around 230 sitting still and 200 - 210 on the road. The outside temp was in the 70's. Is this normal. I sees ome have put in 160 thermostat or is the car designed to run that hot. It does seem to have a smoother idle when around 220. When the fans kick on, the temp drops to 220 or so before they turn off. Thanks for any input. Also oil tem gets over 210 also but slower.
Actually it should run that hot!!! The cooling fans don't kick on till 228, or with the A/C on!!! GM calls for a 195 thermostat, and that is what it is designed to have!!!
You don't have a problem so "Don't Fix it"!!!!!!!
:upthumbs

Hey, madpammy listen to Junkie he knows his business. Like you I was concerned when I first bought my 94, the temps would run just like you have described and it bothered me. But as Junkie said, it's supposed to run that warm.

Oh, welcome to CAC. Enjoy your new toy.

I also found lots of leaves and trash in radiator intake under front of car. Is there supposed to be a screen or something to prevent things from getting in there?

Thanks for the help.

I also found lots of leaves and trash in radiator intake under front of car. Is there supposed to be a screen or something to prevent things from getting in there?

Thanks for the help.
No, theres not one there from the factory,but you can put one in!!!!:upthumbs Ha,Ha, My C5 was running a little warm I pulled a Dead Ground hog out of it!!!!:boogie :boogie :boogie

Thanks for the help.

Well, not from the factory. I believe that there are some in the aftermarket that you can install. About 3 months after I bought my 94, I took the radiator out of mine and cleaned that area real good. (I replaced the hoses and flushed the cooling system too.) Cleaning that out will not hurt a bit, but the engine will run warm. Another thing that people do is the addition of "Water Wetter", an additive that claims 10-30* drop in temperature. I've not done it, haven't felt the need. And then others still, who don't like those higher running temps, replace the stock radiator with an aftermarket one such as DeWitt or Be Cool. The Dewitt is a really nice piece (but pricey).

Yeah the LT-1 engine does run hot. It was designed to. The hot engine light wont even come on until somewhere around 260'. But, I do believe that cleaning the debris from your radiator, and if youre a new owner a complete flush and refill is a good idea. At least you know where your at with that. As you noticed the car doesnt have a grille, it sucks the air in through the lower opening. I dont run a screen, I just check it occassionally. Its a good idea to replace broken or missing front air dams as well, they help with the airflow. Here are some comparable temps from my 92 Lt-1 from yesterday. Outside air temp was about 105, freeway driving 192' with air on. City driving, around 210. Now, I must admit I dont like to see those higher numbers either, and with the summer temps here in Phoenix exceeding 100 and topping out as much as 115, this is what I did to mine.
Installed a hypertech thermomaster ecm chip, installed the 165' thermostat that works with the programming of the chip, installed a new water pump, simply for peace of mind, as well as all new hoses. Flushed and refilled with a 60/40 blend of anti freeze, you have reduced cold weather protection running a higher percentage of anti freeze than water but, thats not an issue where I live. But you gain on the cooling ability. Also, I use redline water wetter. That stuff really works, it reduced my temp readings by 10'. Oh, I still hit 220-230 in redlight traffic on really hot days, but anything under a 100, I rarely see over 210.
Im sure I'll get smacked around a bit on this website for the lower t-stat as that is not what gm designed, but like I said, in conjunction with the programming of the chip it really worked and the car makes really good power.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom