Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New owner question re: rims

Khalilj

Corvette
2001 mag red coupe
I'm the happy new owner of a 2001 mag red coupe with 53,000 miles. I acquired it Saturday from the original owner who is the aunt of a friend. She seems to have been very meticulous and the car appears to be in very good condition. This week I'm having an oil change done at the same local dealer she used and will ask them to pull the records and check the car over, if needed.
There are were two things that were disclosed prior to purchase. First, the passenger lock fails to release occasionally. I'll have the dealer look into this.
The bigger issue is the car also has aftermarket rims and tires. I don't know much about this, but a quick check suggests that the tires are about as cheap as can be. They are Nankang Ultra Sport NS II (235 40R 18 and 255 35Z 20). The rims are Venti. I'm not a fancy guy and want to eventually purchase oem rims. So here's my question. My priority is to put good rubber on the car ASAP. Can I put the proper original size tires on these aftermarket rims, and swap the rims out later? Or must I switch the rims and tires at the same time?
Thanks for the advice which helped me select this vehicle. Your search feature has been helpful in doing the purchase research. I look forward to learning and growing into the wonderful automobile.

Hi Khalilj,
First, welcome to the CAC.

The short answer to your question is NO.
You have 235 40R 18 and 255 35Z 20 installed now.

The stock OEM Wheels/Rims are Front: 17 x 8.5 and Rear: 18 x 9.5.
The stock Tire sizes are Front: P245/45-17 and Rear P275/40-18. OEM Tires also came with a “ZR” rating.

So the rims you currently have installed do not measure up. If you really want the OEM Rims, best wait until you can get the tires too. Just be careful of the TPM Sensors.

I. too would like to welcome you to CAC. Nice choice in cars. :D Sounds very familiar.

SANOLS1 is correct, in his evaluation. If you truly want stock wheels sizes I'd wait until you can get the wheels as well. "Thin spokes", as the stock wheels for 2001 were called, came in two variations, polished and painted. They can be found used if you look around some. There are lots of people who change them out for custom wheels. I, like you, like the stock wheels in stock sizes. I've seen the polished versions for sale for less than $400 in very nice condition. As for tires you have lots of choices there as well. The first choice is Run-flats vs non Run-flats. Once you have decided on that then come the different brands, types etc.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask, there are lots of folks here ready and willing to help.

Thanks, guys. This was very helpful and timely.
I went to the dealer today for the oil change and after a visit to the parts department came to the same conclusion. By the way, the oem from the dealer wa approx. $3,000. So I started searching craiglist for used wheels. I've got a lead on some from a guy close by, and will check it out tomorrow.
As to tires, I think I'll go with the Michelin P/S run flats. The local NTW basically met the Tire Rack price.
one followup question. I assume the original wheels from a 2002 c5 will work on the 2001. Correct?
Thanks again. It's good to be aboard.

Yes, 02 wheels are the same...all the way from 2000 through 2004. The Michelin P/S AS plus ZP are what I put on mine. I love them.

It sounds as though these guys have you pointed in the right direction on your wheels and tires, khalilj, so I'll just say :welcome... and JR is right... post up some pix when you can.

:wJane Ann

Update: I picked up some c5 aluminum wheels, originally on a 2002, from Craig's list, and put the Michelin ps runflats on today. I'm waiting for the rain to stop for a real test, but the initial impression is better handling and much less noise. Time for a big exhale now and on to the fun stuff. Thanks again for the feedback. And pictures will follow when the sun comes out.

Check out your local Corvette clubs and ask about OEM wheels and tires that might be for sale. I've found some really good deals from local members that wanted to "upgrade" their Vettes with aftermarket wheels/tires and keep the OEM stuff only to decide shortly afterward that they don't need/want them.

I disagree, the 01 had thinner spokes the 02 and up. They look the best. That said, i dont like the stock c5 rims. I run 19" maya rims all 4 corners. Rare rims
Mobile%20Uploads

Mobile%20Uploads

T.M. ... your link in the post above won't work as an image insert because it's a page URL, instead of an individual photo URL.

Here's one:
PHP:
http://emob1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/Slammedc5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0306.jpg

Which comes out as this:

IMG_0306.jpg

Nice rims.
:wJane Ann

I disagree, the 01 had thinner spokes the 02 and up. They look the best. That said, i dont like the stock c5 rims. I run 19" maya rims all 4 corners. Rare rims
Mobile Uploads

Mobile Uploads

To each his own, I like the thin spoke wheels. Not to say that your wheels look bad, they don't, quite the contrary, they are beautiful. I just don't have the deep pockets for wheels and tires like those. :thumb

And I have to disagree with your disagreement, the Thin spoke wheels were the same through 2004. The optional magnesium wheels were a wider spoke. Also standard wheels on the 03 Anniversary model.

And I have to disagree with your disagreement, the Thin spoke wheels were the same through 2004. The optional magnesium wheels were a wider spoke. Also standard wheels on the 03 Anniversary model.

Actually, the '03 AE didn't get the magnesium wheels as standard, they got gold tinted clear coats on the regular wheels. Magnesium wheels were an option on the AEs. The Black Book shows that only 293 cars were optioned with the magnesium wheels in '03 while 11,500+ AEs were built.

Anyway, the original poster wants OEM wheels for the Vette - regular or magnesium - depends on where they can be found.
The best place to find OEM wheels and tires for sale cheap is through a loca Vette club - just find the folks there that have "upgraded" wheels/tires and buy their original set. I've got a spare set of C6 OEM wheels in my attic that I bought for $200 from a guy in my club.

I stand corrected. :D

RE: stock Y2K's 00-04 All of the polished were supplied by Alcoa and are forged wheels. Alcoa supplied the painted in '00 ONLY and they were forged....... '01-'04 painted were supplied by Speedline and are spuncast wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom