Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New paint

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
I've got a 73 Roadster (both tops) and I'm looking to give it a new paint job. It's currently a white pearl but I'd like to go another direction. I'd really like to hear from you guys.

What, in your opinion, is the best color for an early model C3?

I am partial to red for the chrome bumpered Vettes... while mine is Monza red, I am repainting it Torch Red.

My next favorite is Bridgehampton Blue. I think it is a classy color that goes well with the chrome...

so not fair... i sold my 82 for the main reason i couldnt find anyone to paint it that didnt want a piece of my liver...... you guys make it sound like youre painting yours just for s&g's.......

i have always had this thing for red vettes myself and was strongly considering painting my 82 red from the factory color... but that cost even more!!

I am partial to red for the chrome bumpered Vettes... while mine is Monza red, I am repainting it Torch Red.

My next favorite is Bridgehampton Blue. I think it is a classy color that goes well with the chrome...

Many shades of blue are on my wish list... bridgehampton being on the short list. I agree that it goes well with the chrome.

How about orange. Dave :w
DAVESBIRTHDAY9-02-07.jpg

I'm kinda' partial to Targa Blue.
00020.jpg

Targa blue is actually on my short list along with Bridgehampton, Marina, and maybe a La Mans.

Funny you should mention orange, Dave. I almost pulled the trigger on an orange Roadster. I'm not a big orange fan but for some reason it looked pretty damn good on a Vette.

I've got a 73 Roadster (both tops) and I'm looking to give it a new paint job. It's currently a white pearl but I'd like to go another direction. I'd really like to hear from you guys.

What, in your opinion, is the best color for an early model C3?

White sounds right.

Check the paint code on the drivers door post to see what the original color was and go with that. Pearl colors were not available on the '73. The white was Classic White.

I have always liked the Brands Hatch Green and the War Bonnet Yellow, and they look great on those Vettes.

GerryLP:cool

so not fair... i sold my 82 for the main reason i couldnt find anyone to paint it that didnt want a piece of my liver......
Sad but True!!:thumb In my years of being a Frame,Alignment,Collision and Refinish Technician the cost of materials have Sky Rocketed!!
When I started refinishing cars.(Age13 Painted my first by myself!!):thumb
3/4 in 3M Pressure Sensitive Masking tape was $.22 and roll,Now $3.75
2 in 3M Pressure Sensitive Masking tape was $.64 and Now $9.36
3M Masking Paper was $3.00 a Log,Now $22.00-$28.00 a Log Depending on what grade you get!
3M Wet or Dry Sand Paper was $.06 a Sheet,Now $2.15 a sheet!!
3M Long Board 36g Paper was $.11 a sheet,Now $2.85-$3.15!!
3M Long Board 80g Paper was $.09 a sheet,Now $2.75-$3.00!!
Dupont 817 White was $7.65 a Gallon,Now $118.00!! (Standard GM) back then!!
Dupont 99 Pitch Black was $7.65 a Gallon,Now $135.00!! (Standard All Manufactures) back then!! (Now we have various shades of black,Blue Toned,Green Toned,Grey Toned,Red Toned,Yellow Toned and others!!)
Dupont 80s or 40s primer was $4.00 a gallon,Now the primers run $20-$50.00 a Qt and then you have to buy Special Catalyst and Reducers for them too!!
Bondo back then was $2.00 a Gallon,Now can run as much as $40.00 depending on what kind you get and are working on,Vette Panel Adhesive is Now about $35.00 a Qt,and Structural Adhesive is $52.00 for 2 A&B 12 oz tubes!!
5 Gallons of Dupont 3661 Thinner was $3.75,Now $89.90!!
5 Gallons of Dupont 3608 Thinner was $5.00,Now $118.00!!
5 Gallons of Dupont 3812 Reducer was $6.55, Now $135.00
Red's and Blues were $12.50 a Gallon,Now can run as much as $250.00 a Qt!!
Technology has Changed in the last 41 years,Not only do I have to be Electronics Wizard,Plus Experienced at what I do Best,I have to be a Chemist to know what to mix to do what I want to do without creating fumes that will Kill my A$$ Off!!
:thumb:thumb:thumb
Now for the Kicker about your Liver,Todays Catalyzed Paints,Primers,Fillers and Automotive Chemicals are Heavy Duty Cancer causing agents!! Are we supposed to take our Liver in our own hands still for $2.65 an hour so you can carry yours around in a Nice Shiny Car?? :boogie:boogie:boogie

:D:D:D

Paint is definitely getting expensive. I painted my '73 about 6 months ago (after two and a half years prepping) and spent $1000.00 just on clear, color, thinner and catalyst.

Unbelievable...

So, on the subject of Paint, my 76 needs a new coat bad and I don't know what it should cost, 3k or 10K? Don't want a "show car" but would like to have the orginal paint color and type.
Can I save money by doing the pre work myself and what does "pre work" mean, sanding the entire car down to, what the primer?
I would think the painter would want to do the final sanding so he/she is sure the surface is right.
Anyway, would appreicate any inputs on the subject.
I want to keep my liver and want the painter to keep his also, just want a smooth shinny coat on the "stingray"/
Thanks

So, on the subject of Paint, my 76 needs a new coat bad and I don't know what it should cost, 3k or 10K? Don't want a "show car" but would like to have the orginal paint color and type.
Can I save money by doing the pre work myself and what does "pre work" mean, sanding the entire car down to, what the primer?
I would think the painter would want to do the final sanding so he/she is sure the surface is right.
Anyway, would appreicate any inputs on the subject.
I want to keep my liver and want the painter to keep his also, just want a smooth shinny coat on the "stingray"/
Thanks

I'm going to save money by stripping the car of it's chrome. That's a start. I think I will also ask if I can do some of the prep work.. sanding and such. I'm no where near knowledgible in painting ... or sanding... but I'm going to try to seize on this as a learning opportunity. And save some bucks.

I do know that when it comes to paint... you get what you pay for.

76Okie,

I would recommend to not despair. Please read my posting in the L81 Registry comunity. It is quite extensive, and in there I explain how alittle patience can really payoff. The bttom line is that my Vette was painted by Maaco Painting, and it came out dressed to kill! And I only paid $2,650.00!!!!

Unless you find a real good coach to follow your progress on the body work, I would recommend to just find someone who has experience with. Fiberglass work.

76Okie,

I would recommend to not despair. Please read my posting in the L81 Registry comunity. It is quite extensive, and in there I explain how alittle patience can really payoff. The bttom line is that my Vette was painted by Maaco Painting, and it came out dressed to kill! And I only paid $2,650.00!!!!

Unless you find a real good coach to follow your progress on the body work, I would recommend to just find someone who has experience with. Fiberglass work.

Thanks Gerry will go look now, don't need any body work happily so thats not a issue and we have a couple of Maaco place's close by. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom