Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New project for me...need input from C3'rs

97moneypit

I jumped into Corvette ownership very quickly in November with a '97 coupe. Since then I have been reading about and studying up on Corvettes. I look at every thing I can on the internet and have bought a few books so far and expect to be buying more. The bug has bitten me in a big way. Should have done this years ago.

I will be turning 50 this the same year as the Corvette and just today I have decided on a goal for the end of 2003. We all need goals and I thought this one might be something good to work on to keep ME out of the scrapheap.

So I have decided to look for a 1971 roadster that I might be able to afford by the end of 2003.

But of course I am a newbie to this and wanted to get some comments and/or advice from those of you experienced in these matters.

I don't even know what questions to ask yet, because this idea has just been in my head for about an hour so far.
Any thing anyone can offer would be very helpful.

Thanks...
:w

Just curious,why a 71? Any paticular reason? There were many engine option back in the early C3 days so you`l have to decide whether you want a big block or a small block.There were also heavey duty transmission and suspension options on some of them.
Good Luck!

BigBrakeFuelie said:
Just curious,why a 71? Any paticular reason? ...Good Luck!

I'm sure it's because 71 ragtops are so cool:D, but then I am a bit biased.

As for what to look for, click on the search link above and look in the C3 forums for RUST for starters. This will also reveal several existing threads where others have been given a laundry list of what to look for in a shark.

BigBrakeFuelie said:
Just curious,why a 71? Any paticular reason?

1971 was a landmark year in my life. Lots of nostagia associated with it. 1969 was also an important, memorable year for me.

I will just have to see how it pans out over the next year.

:w

If you find one you are thinking about buying, please feel free to get with me and I will go look at it with you.

There are many decisions in this purchase, ie., stock original, custom, fixer upper, driver, etc. etc. etc.

I will be happy to help in any way that I can in your search.

You should caravan with us down to Orlando for the NCRS and open Vette show over January 26-27.

You could also go ahead and get your knuckles busted up and give me and TZracer (Dave Bacher) a hand putting his freaky 71 big block coupe back together.

Chris,

Thanks for the offer on the advice. It will be much later in the year, if all goes well, before I can afford it.

Count me in for the caravan on the 26th. I will only have that Sunday the 26th available. Gotta work on Monday. Let me know about the logistics of the trip.
Don't know how much help I would be with that big block but it sounds like fun.

Kirk

Yeah 71 was a pretty big year for me too.I was born.:D

I also liked the 70 &71"s . My first vette was a 70 , when it was new:). The egg crate side panels and the rectangle exhaust are cool. Mine was the convert.

BigBrakeFuelie said:
Yeah 71 was a pretty big year for me too.I was born.:D

Me too.:)
There are soooooo many things to look out for. My main concerns are always frame rust and windshield frame rust. The body mounts and body panel alignment of the car come into play as well. Brake and fuel lines, electrical system, wiper door and headlight operation, etc.
My best advice would be to take someone with you that knows early Stingrays.

My best advice would be to take someone with you that knows early Stingrays.

Chris has taken more than 1 of these things apart so he'll know the ins and outs!

sscam69 said:
Chris has taken more than 1 of these things apart so he'll know the ins and outs!

Yea I know he has taken them apart.......puttin' em back together is what I need to know....

:L :L

I looked at a pretty cool 71 convertible yesterday for a fellow that was thinking about buying it. Don't know if they will make a deal or not.

It was grey (could use a new paint job and body work).
Black interior (decent interior)
LT1 hood
white top (needed a new top)
It had been frame off restored at one time and had a newer frame from a automatic trans vette installed.
Four speed trans
It was an air car, but did not have the a/c compressor
350 non numbers matching with headers and new carb
big block radiator.
Most of the car was there, minor rust on the inner structure, and it drove pretty nice.

He was asking $17,500

So, they are out there. It is just a matter of taking the plunge.

Chris,

I wish I was ready for one now. I gotta wait for at least 6 months.
But let me know about any other deals you may come across....you never know I may find a way to do it earlier.

Kirk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom