Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New project

Corvette
(2) Callaway's (2) ZR1 (1) supercharged 35th
I've decided to modify the 88 Callaway. And since I'm looking for a few more rpms, I decided to go with the siamess plenum and runners. I'm also going with an aftermarket intake.

sideplenum.jpg

engine.jpg

CALLAWAYplenum.jpg

For the record, note that Sam has a granite top for a work bench!!!!!

I'm hoping to widen the much needed power band, so I've been spending a few hours porting and reshaping the ports. This car always blew a buff of smoke at start up, and I had thought that at some point under boost the guide seals got pushed off the guides. I've seen this happen before with boosted engines, with stock style seals. Went in to replace the seals and found out that the intake seals are in perfect shape, while replacing them with the newer style seal, I stumbled to what I think was the problem. It appears that Callaway made some changes with regards to the valve guides. (they don't look stock)The exhaust guides are about .125" taller than the intake guides. This was causing the bottom of the retainer to hit the seal on the exhaust side, and pretty much destroyed all the exhaust seals. I'm going to have to grind down some clearance on the retainer in order to keep them from making contact with the seals. I could just imagine what would have happened if 1.6 rockers had been installed without checking for clearances. I don't know if it's like this with all Callaway heads, but for those out there reading this, just as a percaution, before changing rocker ratios, I would check the clearances first. Normally, on a stock cam corvette heads, there is enough clearances when swapping to the 1.6 rockers.

boostedmaxPSI said:
For the record, note that Sam has a granite top for a work bench!!!!!
Actually, his old lady was gone for the week, so he took the stuff inside to the kitchen to work on it. It's easier to just flush all the filings and cleaning solvents down the drain! :L

Nice project Sam.

Are you going to get larger runners? And when you are, are you going to get them the same wrinkled black as original Callaways because that would be great!

Groeten Peter.

Peer81 said:
Nice project Sam.

Are you going to get larger runners? And when you are, are you going to get them the same wrinkled black as original Callaways because that would be great!

Groeten Peter.

Yes, I'm going with much bigger runners, and yes on the black finish too.

:JI have most of what you've posted on these cars in my Callaway file and it's great to see your still looking for a little more out of the B-2K :beer Sam: Good luck and keep us posted! Ike

The car only has about 24k miles, but it's getting afresh set of injectors.
newinjectors.jpg

I modify a factory regulator to be adjustable. I've had better luck with these over the aftermaket ones.

Adjustablefuelpressure.jpg

Accel intake
accelintake.jpg

The runners finally got here. Oh yeah, they keep getting lighter:gap

Getting the siamese runners (SLP) to flow with 1.75" diameter ports wasn't easy. I had to add aluminum in some areas and remove in others. My objective was to give it as much volume as possible and since the Accel intake retained the factory stock port where the intake meets the heads, I'm hoping to retain velocity while increasing the volume. You guys won't believe how much aluminum I had to shaved off. I have a rather large bowl full of the stuff.

Runners
portedrunners.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom