Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new rotors (?)

Larry's Yellow Rdstr

Corvette
05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
Has anyone here used the rotors a company called r1concepts sells? They offer three finishes, zinc plated, a gold finish and black. The rotors come either slotted, drilled or a combination of slotted/drilled. I was thinking of the zinc plated for my 87 rdstr, but I was concerned about the plating process and how it would work/look down the road several thousand miles.
I'm redoing my brakes and saw these guys on ebay.

TIA

I've never heard of that company but did get zinc washed, drilled and slotted rotors for both the Grand Sport and the '02 from www.sportbrakes.com. We love them, they've held up very well, look great, and they were $249.00 for a set of four!!

Elaine

If you're doing any auto-x ing or any other racing I wouldn't get cheap, drilled rotors. The good kind (like Baer) have the holes cast into the rotors and then are drilled out to smoothen the finish. The cheaper ones have the holes drilled after the casting process and are weaker. If you're doing auto-xing or other racing where you abuse the brakes, the cheaper drilled rotors are prone to cracking. If you're just doing normal cruising with occasional spirited driving, you'll probably be OK with the e-bay items.

There is no need for drilled rotors unless you are using pads that require them. Another way of putting this is that if you bother going to drilled rotors, take advantage of them by using pads that need them in order to dispense the gasses put out by these types of pads.

If you are not using the high performance pads that require drilled rotors then all you are doing is a cosmetic upgrade.

I hope this makes some sense.

Good luck,

My upgrade is strictly cosmetic. Just put ZR1 type wheels on in place of the factory style and the calipers and rotors are now visible. I'm going to pull the wheels and do some painting on what has been a neglected area. I would prefer the zinc washed or zinc plated rotors and am going to repaint/replace the rotors. Lowering is due when the lowering kit comes in from VBP.

Not intending to jack this thread, But if you don't do auto cross and are just driving you vette as a daily driver, are the regular rotors you buy at napa decent/sufficient?

87blackroxi said:
Not intending to jack this thread, But if you don't do auto cross and are just driving you vette as a daily driver, are the regular rotors you buy at napa decent/sufficient?

Yes...

Thanks Larry and Robert. I just wanted to make sure. I just switched mine out monday with the parts from napa :beer

GS Diva said:
I've never heard of that company but did get zinc washed, drilled and slotted rotors for both the Grand Sport and the '02 from www.sportbrakes.com. We love them, they've held up very well, look great, and they were $249.00 for a set of four!!

Elaine

What is the difference between the HD Brakes and non HD Brakes the site offers?

I think HD refers to Heavy-Duty. From most of the stuff I've done searches on, I think HD is for the J55 and/or GS brake options on the C4s. But, I believe the J55 option (I know the GS rotors) are 13" HD rotors...so, is the HD that is refered to on the www.sportsbrakes.com web-site 13" or 12"?

I think the HD rotors were thicker (in width).

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=93

stearnman said:
I think HD refers to Heavy-Duty. From most of the stuff I've done searches on, I think HD is for the J55 and/or GS brake options on the C4s. But, I believe the J55 option (I know the GS rotors) are 13" HD rotors...so, is the HD that is refered to on the www.sportsbrakes.com web-site 13" or 12"?

I think the HD rotors were thicker (in width).

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=93

HD, or "Heavy Duty" brakes were an option offered w/ 13" rotors on the front.

I have the drilled & slotted brake rotors from Baer brakes that are zink coated & they look great. With the painted calipers it gives the car a very racey look.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom