Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New spy photo's from AutoWeek

A

Arnie

Found these on the AutoWeek web site:

vettemain.jpg

vette_front1.jpg

vette_side.jpg

vette_frontview2.jpg

vetterear.jpg

Here's part of the article:
These shots, taken as General Motors engineers began the C6’s performance shakedown on Germany’s Nurburgring, confirm what we said then and add some more of the picture. As we reported, the next Vette will eschew hideaway headlamps for the first time since they were introduced on the 1963 Stingray, instead opting for more aerodynamic fixed position projector beam pods.

We also note a sharper edge along the C6’s front fenders than previously seen, along with a creased center roofline that hints at a racy double-bubble effect. Look for the production Corvette’s debut at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

Good one.... Thanks for the post.:beer

Kinda cross between C5 and Nissan ?
Is it going to be worth all the hype :z

Mouth

The JuJuBee opening is unsettling. (4th down is best view) It does look like a goofy claymation mouth now that it's got fixed headlamps.
Other than that it looks great, there are the best photos I've seen!! Can't wait for January.

excellent catch..

Lots of good new information from those photos in my opinion..

I see a lot more of the cars lines..

Looking good! (behind the camoflage..IMHO)

The front end looks pretty cool, very agressive!

Still not enough showing to see the "personality" of the front end IMO. I hope the targa roof is STILL cammmo. I don't care for the blocky edges in the targa. Will the targa pannel turn into bigger bubbles like a Viper? ... or smooth out like a C4? ... or is this folded and creased version "it"?

LongTimer said:
Still not enough showing to see the "personality" of the front end IMO. I hope the targa roof is STILL cammmo. I don't care for the blocky edges in the targa. Will the targa pannel turn into bigger bubbles like a Viper? ... or smooth out like a C4? ... or is this folded and creased version "it"?

LT,

I like the lines on the front. I kinda like the bubbles where the headlights are. Doesn't it look kinda Porsche like?

I agree with you on the targa. I hope that the rear end isn't that big when the final product is revealed, it's so big!:L:L:L

I don't see the Porsche look you're referring to. Maybe the open "grill" will be similar. Regarding headlights, Doesn't Porsche usually have "fractured" lens so that you don't see the bulb? What we can see of the C6 headlight has the potential to look more Ferrari to me - a good thing IMO.

Intro01_480.JPG

Look's like the headlights shown behind Cowger's head were the real headlights.

Crap.

You can start to see the actual shape of the nose in the white pictures, very similar to my previous black C6 speculation. There is still a fake hood panel on it though. Also, there is still a considerable amount of padding in the rear.

I believe that the black C6's roof is real and the white C6's roof is fake. You can also start to see the shape of the side vent, too bad the pictures are so small...

LongTimer said:
I agree with you LT. Not enough showing! I am a bit dissapointed though. I think there might have been more thought put into the exterior design of the C5. Some changes might have been only made for change's sake! They've got me worried!:confused

GOOD GOD!!! thats one ugly light pod. It looks like the pretty oval lamps I saw on the Beta mule are history. See I told you not to plunk down that 2 grand for a deposit right away. Corvette has NEVER "looked" like another car in its life. This is the thinnest cammo we have seen to date and Im not happy. It almost seems as if the General did this on purpose to slooooooooowly leak the design out so they dont need to have Ambulance's standing by in Detroit when the vail is lifted. Even Cher will pass out I think ;) Well. at least John Peters has not broken his tradition for designing the ugliest cars on the road. I look at it this way, I'll save money this way I'll keep my beautiful C4 and C5. The C6 will surly make the C5s soar in resale value once it hits the showrooms in the fall. :)

I like it.

Hmm.

I dunno, I fell in love with the C4 when they first came out in 1983 and I couldn't afford one. I had a huge C4 poster on my wall and I lusted after that car all summer long before I went to college, studying the lines and the shapes and the wheels. I thought it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen, and I still think so. The shape of the car was new and exciting.

When the C5 came out, I didn't feel the same way. Sure it was exciting to see a new Corvette, but it was lumpy and bumpy and ungainly from all angles, especially the back. I drove one and there was no doubt about it, it handled like a dream. But I just couldn't get used to that big lumpy rear end and its acres of fiberglass.

From what I've seen of the C6 so far, it's an improvement over the C5, style-wise. I like the subtle knife-edge flares at all four corners, the way they blend into the door, and I like the oversized coves. I especially like the view of pictures number four and five in the original message. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they significantly reduced the size of the rear. I'm disappointed that they ditched the popup headlights, as I feel they are integral to the Corvette mystique, but times change I guess, even though the fixed lights won't reduce THAT much weight. That back window is certainly pointy, I hope they're not creating another boattail Riviera instead of a gentle nod toward the elegant midyear coupes.

I don't think I'll fall in love with the C6 as I did with the C4. I'll probably keep my 89 forever, even though I'll eventually have to buy a new Corvette, since mine is a daily driver. I'm optimistic that I can learn to like the C6, something I couldn't do with the ungainly C5 with its Firebird front end. No offense, but the C5 just didn't do much for me.

Some changes might have been only made for change's sake! They've got me worried!

THAT is exactly what I don't like about Cadillac determining the evolution of Corvette. Are the changes to the C6 actually warranted, or are they simply the result of Caddy wanting a two-seater.....

Brett

Brett, you make a good point, but until we see the end product, we can't tell what the cad impact is. Does adding 1.2 inches to the wheel base hurt the vette? I don't know, do you? Is there any impact on performance numbers? .. weight distribution, etc?

Certainly Cad picked up the majority, if not all of the costs related to fit and finish and paint improvements. They probably favorably impacted the interior package. I'm anxious to see the result.

At separate issue, of course, is the aesthetics of the exterior package to which these improvements are applied. Certainly Caddy didn't design the C6 exterior, but what Caddy constraints, if any, impacted the design. We don't know yet, do we?

Bottom line: As in any marriage compromises are made. As in any marriage, the goal is to make the individuals stronger, than they would be if they were not together. Let's hope this happens. IMO it will only help assure a long life for Corvette.

As in any marriage, the goal is to make the individuals stronger

Is that really the goal here though? Or is GM simply cutting corners and combining platforms to save money.....

I have yet to see GM say "Cadillac and Chevrolet are combining forces to create the best 'vette yet" Not that it would be in those exact words, but you would think they would be promoting the "Cadillac level" of build quality.

Brett

The more detail I see from the C6, the more uncertain I become.
What I am certain about is that the C4 was way ahead of C5 and maybe C6 too. I'm a designer, and I am talking about the harmony of the shapes.
I'm not saying the C5 looks ugly or anything, I tend to find it unfinished.
The C6 has one detail I like so far. The doors. Especially that edgy 3D line that devides the door into two pieces addig a sporty character to the overall look of the car.
I also think, that the fuel cap is actually reflecting the end-shape of the C6's back. It has to have a similarity otherwise the lines would make no sense! In modern design every line has a sense, mostly for the looks, but sometimes it may also be functional.
The front is still a mistery to me, yet I am positive about that those lines on the hood have to connect somehow!
The headlights must have other design than that we see on the spy shots! They have to incadrate somehow, they have to fit strictly designly talking! Or perhaps we only see a part of the lights! I mean tops 1/2 of them!
IMHO, as a Corvette enthusiast I'd say the car looks okay, but lacks a certain WOW factor which was so characteristic to the C3 and the C4 design.
I hope my comment didn't offended anyone

Andonis said:
The headlights must have other design than that we see on the spy shots! They have to incadrate somehow, they have to fit strictly designly talking! Or perhaps we only see a part of the lights! I mean tops 1/2 of them!
All you can see on the headlight now is where they are located. They have tape all around them so you cannot see anything about the lens shape. So far it is looking good.

I really like the way the top edge of the front and rear fenders run into the door :)

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom