Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New tire help..

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Ive always been one to buy Michelin,BFG,Bridgestone or Goodyear however I was looking in the tire rack and I could'nt believe the price on these! and they say these tires have good performace and even on the chart between 1-10 they are getting High 8's!

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 255/50 R 16 for 89$ !!

Can someone tell me anything about these! Hell these are only 130 bucks Canadain and I pay more than that for my Jeep tires!!

Kumo is making an excellent tire right now. In the autocross circuit, many are selecting those for racing, and the pro-touring scene has been buying them up like crazy for the super wild wheels they are putting on cars these days.

I say GO FOR IT!

Not familiar with Kumo but would check out Dunlop. I'm running the 5000 for six months on the 85 and love em.

Good morning

Any comments about the noise levels on either the Kumos or the Dunlaps?

Aloha

Don't you want Z rated tires?

Couldnt care on Z rated tires,

My thinking being our cars (most of us) only do 150-160 MPH which a W-Y tire can handle nicely

Z rated tires dont get me wrong are AWSOME looking but I can't afford to have fun and keep buying these tires..

Reason why Im interested in these tires is because of the price (But they also have a Z rated version)

V rated tires- 149MPH (Which I have right now)
W- 168MPH
Y- 186MPH
Z- 149MPH + (up)

I'll be more than fine with these and at 85 bucks a boot how can you beat it when your gearing up for a wedding and college.

L David said:
Good morning

Any comments about the noise levels on either the Kumos or the Dunlaps?

Aloha

Good question...are you running the road to Hana? Just do what i do and crank up the tunes a bit. They couldn't be as bad as my runflats on the 99! Shacka, bruddah.
Aloha nui loa.

I just finished reading a TON of reviews on the tires..They are a go when money permits.

This will leave me with 4 Michelin Pilot V4's (50% left)

Im thinking to do the "right" thing and save them for racing

But! I want to do a smoke show SOooo bad on camera, this is the first car ive owned that is able to do it safely (Vs Neutral Dropping the Sunbird I had LOL)

Dunlops are quiet and stick well. I have nothing but good things to say about this tire(5000)

I will say the Michelin is having it's problems even with the German car owners. They are praising the Yokohama AVS. When I searched for tires on the Benz the Yokohama was what I went with. I'm not saying that I would use them on the vettes but it does say something about the Michelins.

To each his own, either way they're all quality tires.

:cool :cool

My Dunlop SP 5000s don't hold that well. My old Falcons would run circles around these in the wet and dry. They are quiet though (until I take a corner faster than they like!)

Mike

When I bought my car it came with Dunlop SP5000. There's about 5000 miles on them and haven't had any problems.

Hi...got KUMHO 275/40 17. Have had them on for a week. Great tires. Go for them.
Max

I have a set of Falken ZIEX in 275/40-17 on my vette and absolutely love these tires. Bridgestone RE 703s are also worthwhile checking......I had a set of Nitto NT-555 on a previous car and they were very good too and cheap !! The Nittos have also excellent reviewes from independent resources......I'd still take the Falkens, they look supe cool too!!

umm...

what are the cheapest tires u can buy??, i didn't know i could buy anything less then z to fit my tire, right now, i am buying,, a tired called furea something liekt hat,, its 120 bucks a tire, its z rated , so, umm, how much do your guy's tires cost u????, i mean if i can get e a tire that cost 60 bucks, i would do it,, since i will never get my car up to 180,, until i get my car up and running,, and hook up my NOS system

Keep in mind that the speed rating will also affect the handling. The high speed rated tires have stiffer sidewalls, and will take corners better.

Years ago, I would keep up with if not edge a friend with the same car through corners. The differece was that he had better suspension vs my stock, but I had better tires (V rated against his H). His car would sit flatter in the turns, but the tire could not hold.

I just put on Sumitomo HTRZ's a couple of days ago. I've only put about 10 miles on them. I've not yet had the chance to finish breaking them in and check how they hold. I did quite a bit of research and heard some mixed reviews on them. I decided to find out. I could be wrong but I think they are owned by Dunlop, which I have liked in the past.
Erik

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom