Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New tires for 70' conv w / stock rims

bondo

Corvette
1970 convertible
72 yr old grandpa "lost in the 50's " first post ..
What is the maximum tire size possible without any problems ?
Would like it low also .. thinking about 255 or 245 / 60 /15 's .
Thanks for your help

Here's a pic of my 70 with BFG 245/60 15's.
DSC00573.jpg

Actually this is a better photo to show off the tires. The fenders are casting a shadow on the tires in the first pic making the car appear to sit too high.
DSC00566.jpg

Bigger is better!

Bondo, welcome to CAC.
235/70/R15 in front and 255/60/R15 in the rear on mine.

sharkcar71: Nice looking Vette! or should I say vert?
How do you like your Goodrich tires?

34front1-2.jpg

Stock tire for a '70 model was a F70x15 tire which translate over to a P215R70-15 tire. Having said that, in my experience a P235R60-15 on a stock 8" rim will fit front and back with no problems on a '68 & '72 model. I know from personal experience also that a P245R50-15 on a stock 8" rim will fit front and rear with no problem on a '72 model. A P255R60-15 will fit the rear on a stock 8" rim on my '72's with no problems but that size tire will rub on the front fenders. They would fit fine if one trims the front fender lips as the factory did on the '78 models. I have no experience with a P245R60-15 tire fitment and can't comment on that particular tire size. HTH.

Bondo, welcome to CAC.
235/70/R15 in front and 255/60/R15 in the rear on mine.

sharkcar71: Nice looking Vette! or should I say vert?
How do you like your Goodrich tires?

34front1-2.jpg
Bigger might look better (temporarily) until the rocks they throw start chipping the paint on your wheel wells.

I've never had any problems with paint chips with the 245's. They are still contained inside the wheel well. I'm not sure that would be the case with a 68 or 69 though.

I've never had any problems with paint chips with the 245's. They are still contained inside the wheel well. I'm not sure that would be the case with a 68 or 69 though.

Yeah, that's the key. You can go wide but make sure they're not outside the wheel well - not even a little bit.

I'll have to check the size of the tires that came with my car when I get a chance. I just don't remember what size they were off the top of my head. Mine is a '71 by the way.

255-60/15 (both Goodyear Eagle GTs and BFG T/As) F & R but had to trim a tad on the rear of the front fender where it tucks in. Also running American Racing Vector 8.5" wheels that have about 0.5" negative offset. Stock wheels probably wouldn't require any trimming. Don't have a chipping problem but also have side exhaust which helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom