Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New to vettes

Thz71

Hey guys just joined thought I'd introduce myself. I just got my Corvette on Sunday, I traded a truck I had for it. It has some problems that need fixed but so far I love it! It's a 1992 with a 6 speed.
2ada582ce93904e04e906ba9dbd833be.jpg
08b7f3e6c4ba1ea3576f67230840ff81.jpg
295ed3b91aa05302b086828aebbac12c.jpg

Nice ,I'm one of those who loves all Corvettes but the C4's are one of my favorites .Good choice on your part.:thumb

Hey guys just joined thought I'd introduce myself. I just got my Corvette on Sunday, I traded a truck I had for it. It has some problems that need fixed but so far I love it! It's a 1992 with a 6 speed.
2ada582ce93904e04e906ba9dbd833be.jpg
08b7f3e6c4ba1ea3576f67230840ff81.jpg
295ed3b91aa05302b086828aebbac12c.jpg

very nice,congrats !!

Welcome & congrats

Welcome to CAC!!!!! enjoy! PS nice looking Monte as well!!!

Storage

Just noticed where you're from, I think that's where my one SIL is from (small world).

On winter storage, here's a few suggestions if this is your first time.
Get a car cover
Insure the antifreeze is good to at least -30 degrees, and hopefully fresh
I like to top off the gas tank with non-alcohol gas plus add a can of Seafoam then run it for at least 10 minutes to work it through the system before going into storage.
Insure all the fluids are topped off and the tires are up to proper pressure level.
While sitting, I put some DCon on a paper plate under the car, under the hood and inside the car in case some vermin try to make a new home there.
While just sitting, I disconnect the battery. Some use battery tenders, I haven't so far but mine are in a garage and I do have a charger if needed.
I block the wheels rather than use the parking brake, I've had a parking brake stick over the winter once so I prefer blocking the wheels. I really don't see a difference between leaving the tranny in gear vs neutral as long as you block the wheels good.
I've read of a few people recommending taping off the tailpipes also to keep mice out, I haven't done that but it's not a bad idea.

Now once a month or so, I'll do some running of the car.
remove temporarily the plates with the Dcon.
Doublecheck your clutch and brake cylinders for fluid along with the radiator.
Hook up the battery
Start the car (insure it's in neutral first) and let the engine get at least close to operating temp.
Work the clutch several times before putting it into any gears
Work the brake pedal a few times.
Remove the blocks from the wheels
Drive the car forward and back at least few feet if you have the room and can.

Once done:
block the wheels again.
put the Dcon back
disconnect the battery
put the car cover back on
mark the calendar to do it again after another month or so.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for 10 yrs+ on my T-Bird and now my Vette and I've had good luck with not having problems come spring and bringing them out of winter storage.
Hope that helps you or anyone else.

Last edited:
Just noticed where you're from, I think that's where my one SIL is from (small world).

On winter storage, here's a few suggestions if this is your first time.
Get a car cover
Insure the antifreeze is good to at least -30 degrees, and hopefully fresh
I like to top off the gas tank with non-alcohol gas plus add a can of Seafoam then run it for at least 10 minutes to work it through the system before going into storage.
Insure all the fluids are topped off and the tires are up to proper pressure level.
While sitting, I put some DCon on a paper plate under the car, under the hood and inside the car in case some vermin try to make a new home there.
While just sitting, I disconnect the battery. Some use battery tenders, I haven't so far but mine are in a garage and I do have a charger if needed.
I block the wheels rather than use the parking brake, I've had a parking brake stick over the winter once so I prefer blocking the wheels. I really don't see a difference between leaving the tranny in gear vs neutral as long as you block the wheels good.
I've read of a few people recommending taping off the tailpipes also to keep mice out, I haven't done that but it's not a bad idea.

Now once a month or so, I'll do some running of the car.
remove temporarily the plates with the Dcon.
Doublecheck your clutch and brake cylinders for fluid along with the radiator.
Hook up the battery
Start the car (insure it's in neutral first) and let the engine get at least close to operating temp.
Work the clutch several times before putting it into any gears
Work the brake pedal a few times.
Remove the blocks from the wheels
Drive the car forward and back at least few feet if you have the room and can.

Once done:
block the wheels again.
put the Dcon back
disconnect the battery
put the car cover back on
mark the calendar to do it again after another month or so.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for 10 yrs+ on my T-Bird and now my Vette and I've had good luck with not having problems come spring and bringing them out of winter storage.
Hope that helps you or anyone else.

I didn't do anywhere near that good of a job maybe ill go back and do some more the garage is heated I unhooked the battery and put dryer sheets all around I've had really good luck with this keeping mice out of my camper and stuff while storing them also put some d con out
951c81505b0d7b5a8f37b89fb5ed5912.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom