Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Vette Owner Question

99C5Coupe

How can I tell what suspension I have on my 99 Coupe that I purchased a few weeks ago? I don't have the selector on my vette that I have seen on some others.....Not sure if this is any help or not?

Sorry for the dumb question.....I am completely new to vette's and just curious what suspension is on my car or what the best way of finding out what type it is.......

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I'm brain dead at the moment about where the RPO list is stuck - I think it's on the glove compartment lid but I can't remember for sure. Some else will have to chime in here and help.

However, no selector on the center console means that you do not have the F45 Selective Real Time Damping system. You will have either the base or Z51 system - the RPO list will provide that. If you find Z51 on the list, that's the Performance Handling Package. If not, you'll find FE1 (?) - i.e.: base suspension.

If you have Z51 and an automatic, you should also see G92 performance axle listed.

You do not have the selective ride control, but check inside your glove compartment and see if you have Z51 listed on the options. If not, you have the standard suspension.

Hi Chris--

Congrats on "joining the club"-- I've only been "in the club" for a little over 2 months, and I'm loving every minute of it! :upthumbs

If you do not have a selector switch on the console, then your '99 Vette does not have the Selective Ride Control, or F45 option. So, that means you either have the FE1 base suspension, or the Z51 sport suspension. The easiest way to tell this (assuming you do not have the window sticker) is to look on the RPO codes listing in your car. I've heard of this little sticker being in various locations, depending on the model year you're talking about. On my '98 Coupe, mine was on the underside of the left-rear corner cargo cover (in the cargo/hatchback area). Some have said that theirs is in the glove box.

In any case, it will be a white sticker just a few inches across that has a bunch of 3-digit codes on it. If you're curious, I would advise you to write these down and then look in the CAC Tech Center (at the top of this page) under "Model Center" to find what many of these codes mean. For the other codes not listed there, just do a search for "RPO codes" in this forum and read through old posts discussing the codes.

Hope this helps!
Fred

Thanks guys. I didn't see Z51 on there and did see FE1. I assume it must be the standard suspension.

Do the vette's outfitted with the Z51 or F45 packages have a significant advantage over those without?

;stupid s

Welcome!

Do some surfing around CAC and you will pick-up a lot of useful information.

It's OK to ask, there are no stupid questions. I have learned alot from reading other members questions that I should have even asked myself.

Your vette likely has the standard suspension that came with the standard package. You should have a smoother ride vs. the tighter feel of the Sport Suspension.

Either way, you have a Corvette! Enjoy your ride!

Hi Chris,
It all depends on how you like your ride. I wanted to "feel the road". The Z51 is harsher than the FE1, but you are definately in contact with the road. I gave up the comfort for the feel. This is -not- to disrespect those who opted for the FE1. It is only a personnel choice.
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

99C5Coupe said:
Thanks guys. I didn't see Z51 on there and did see FE1. I assume it must be the standard suspension.

Do the vette's outfitted with the Z51 or F45 packages have a significant advantage over those without?

I have the standard suspension and my car turns like it is sitting on rails. Almost like it has four wheel steering in the turns. I am guessing the AVERAGE driver cannot tell much difference EXCEPT for the ride. As far as cornering, I think you would have to put a very experienced driver behind the wheel to push the car to the edge of the envelope to actually tell a difference in cornering ability between the suspensions. Am I wrong?? Somebody tell me if I am because when I trade up to the next vette, I will know which options I must have. Let's hear your opinions.

OK Now that you have determined that you have FE1 the next question is how fast do you get rid of it.
My bet is the first time you go over a harsh bump in the road and your car changes lanes without notice you will be looking to improve to Z51 and dumping the runcraps.

Look around the forums for help. Almost Any tire is better than the runcraps and just changing to Z51 sway bars will be a Huge improvement

Good Luck

RedvetX2 said:
OK Now that you have determined that you have FE1 the next question is how fast do you get rid of it.
My bet is the first time you go over a harsh bump in the road and your car changes lanes without notice you will be looking to improve to Z51 and dumping the runcraps.

Look around the forums for help. Almost Any tire is better than the runcraps and just changing to Z51 sway bars will be a Huge improvement

I disagree. While I don't have lots of experience driving other suspension/tire combinations, I don't think that the FE1 package with runflats is all that bad. After purchasing my Vette, I first had to install new shocks, so I went with Bilstein Sports. And the tires that came on it from the original owner are Firehawks, not Goodyear F1s. Other than that, the suspension is the stock FE1. I'm able to go around turns with complete confidence, and it corners like it's on rails. I'm sure the Bilsteins help for bumps in the corners, but I doubt the stock shocks give up so much on the Bilsteins as to be considered poor handling.

I also don't have a problem with the tires. Again, I haven't done A-B comparisons, but I don't notice any handling or noise/ride comfort issues with my Firehawk RFTs. I can't comment on the Goodyears, but I doubt the Corvette team would have put a Vette on the road with truly pathetic tires.

I have considered adding Z06 or Z51 swaybars to my FE1-based coupe, but that will probably not be any time soon. I just don't feel that Z51 or better is imperative for getting a thrilling, enjoyable ride out of one's Corvette. I'm sure Z51, Z06, or F45/55 Sport makes it even more fun, but FE1 is already a helluva good ride. After all, they're all still Corvettes... :_rock

So, 99C5Coupe, enjoy your FE1 because it's already a fine suspension. If you want to get more sporty or racy, consider stiffer shocks and sway bars.

Have fun!
Fred

Thanks for the info guys. I doubt I would be able to push the car to the point that I would notice a difference anyway. I like the way the car rides now so I assume that if I did upgrade some of the suspension components that it would become a bit rougher in bumpy spots? I also have the Michelin Zero Pressure tires on there now. Any comments on those as compared to the Goodyears that come on the car new?

99C5Coupe said:
I assume that if I did upgrade some of the suspension components that it would become a bit rougher in bumpy spots? I also have the Michelin Zero Pressure tires on there now. Any comments on those as compared to the Goodyears that come on the car new?

Yes, the bumps would most likely be more apparent to you if you were to go with stiffer shocks/sway bars. At least as far as the shocks are concerned, I can tell you that my Bilstein Sports are pretty darned "hard," but I've gotten used to them.

For tire comparisons, a good place to look is TireRack. They have user comments and reviews there.

L8r,
Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom