Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Vette rims on early C4

C

c4fan

My brother just recently bought a brand new roadster and has already put new rims on it and my buddy with an 84 was wanting to buy the stock rims. I know adapters are required to install 88-up 17 inch rims on 84-87's but will the 17/18 inch combo bolt to the early c4's with the adapters?.:confused If anybody has done this or knows the answer I would appreciate the info. Thanx.:w

i got an 87 stock rims were 16's before i bought the car someone added the 88-90 style rims which are 17's i run 285/40/17 tires around the whole car with no rub with no spacers. just for your FYI i'm sure someone will chime in with more help :D

I am pretty sure the offsets on the C5 rims are the same as the later C4 rims... check that out, a company like AFS would know for sure... also, keep in mind you will have to change the speedo gear for the bigger rear tire, unless you go 17 inch on all 4 corners.

Yes, with the adapters they should bolt up with no problem. Your speedo will be off slightly due to the larger 18" wheels...but only around 3-4 mph @ 70-80. Take a look at my sig for a pic of some.

Regards,

Eric

18" wheels would be +2 - if you ran something like 275/35's then your speedo would be the same. I just put 17's on my 86 and with 255/45 front and 275/40 rear my speedo is dead accurate (as accurate as something calibrated in 1-MPH increments can be).
[RICHR]

Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on CAC members to help me out. Howser, those rims look stunning on your car.:CAC

yeah i heard they looked good and seen a set for sale with an 86 C4 but they were not on the car. they look sharp on that 93! schweet ride!

Rich thats what i was told when i asked the same question with 285-40-17's from stock 16 inch size only - + 1 mph difference if that...

I wound up going with the 275/40's because they were cheaper and supposedly matched the front 255/45's better.

One week on the Kumhos and so far, so good.

[RICHR]

I am with Mad-Mic on this one. I have an 87 with 17x8.5 and 17x9.5 on it with 96 wheels without adapters. I don't know how they fit since I have read the same thing about having to use adapters on early C4s. Like Mad-Mic, mine fit fine and I have no problems with interference with any suspension or body parts.

"According to the Gospel of Corvette Central" the adapters don't prevent wheel rub but make your steering geometry what it was with the stock wheels. Ie, the same moment arm, the same forces on the half-shafts and bearings (ever wonder why Ricers with ultra-wide wheels eat wheel bearings?), the same alignment specs. IMHO, it also makes the car look a little better as the wheels w/out adapters sit inboard about 3/4 of an inch too far - they fill the wheel wells better with them.

Mic, next time we're at Capitol Raceway, we can check the cars side by side and see if there's a really visible difference. I had one wheel on with and one without and just looked real quick.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom