Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new ZR1 owner

ernbuild

Corvette
91/ZR1
Hi to all, I have just bought my first ZR1 after owning and enjoying a 78 anniversary for 4 years.
Is their anything that I should keep a special eye :ugh on , as it is most definatley different to my 78. It has only 40000 klms on the clock and hasnt been driven forat least 10 years. Only change from original has been the conversion to right hand drive, as i live in Australia.
Cheers to all Ernie.:beer

Congrats on the new purchase!! WOW! Sitting for ten years! What a shame to let such a great car sit. A great source of information on ZR-1's is also at www.zr1netregistry.com Join the forum as well. You don't have to be a member of the registry to join the forum.

I would think that unless the car was stored properly you would need to change the spark plugs and have all the hoses inspected, check the tires for dry rot and cracking. Oil and filter change as well. Just looking at the LT5 can be overwhelming, let alone thinking you might have to actually work on it. The gas tank may need to be drained and the fuel filter changed as well. I hope there is someone there that knows something about ZR-1's to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of people that are willing to help.

Oh, post a pic of the Beast when you get a chance!!

Jim

91 model

Congratulations! What year is it?

Thanks guys, shes a 91 model. Have done the oil and filter, and am draining the tank tomorrow,so as to fill her up with some 100 octane. I figure it will do it some good and clean her out. What plugs do you blokes suggest running,as will be doing short runs of a 150 klms most of the time. Also should i change gearbov and diff oils as well and what oilshould i use. I dont have a owners manual as yet and am yet to get the build sheet off the tank. Tyres are gone as they were as hard as plastic,and the front ones were perishing around the outter edge. I do believe they were the originals. All help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Our annual convention is on at easter coming up,any of you guys coming over.
Cheers Ernie:beer

I don't know what gearbox or diff oil to use. I changed my spark plugs and used the NGK Iridium plugs. I like them. Just beware when changing #8, it is a real pain in the arse to get to. As for tires, I got mine on www.tirerack.com and they could at least give you some ideas on tires. I got Sumitomos. Not expensive, but I don't drive very aggressively. I am hoping to replace them next year with some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

Jim

this could be a helpful handbook for you......

I suggest you check out this book...it has a special ZR1 section....the book is good, informative and very helpful and cheap as well. It deals with differential fluid/tranny fluid and a host of other things.....

http://www.amazon.com/101-Projects-Your-Corvette-1984-1996/dp/0760314616

I've gotten pretty good use out of it.
RG

Enjoy your "new" toy...!!!

We're waiting for the driving season to return to we can get better acquianted with the '90 we bought late last October.

thanks guys

Thanks for the feedback, I want to get a factory workshop manual if i can .Do you blokes know where i can buy one, no where over here ,so will have to be a US site. Also do you know of any info on auto transmission fluid in a manual transmission. Cheers Ernie:beer

Thanks for the feedback, I want to get a factory workshop manual if i can .Do you blokes know where i can buy one, no where over here ,so will have to be a US site. Also do you know of any info on auto transmission fluid in a manual transmission. Cheers Ernie:beer

I run redline synthetic in both my TKO 5 speed and my C5 6 speed, I believe most of the more modern trans use ATF instead of gear oil.

Our ZF6 does NOT take ATF though. Many folks use the Castrol TWS 10w-60 engine oil which might be more common for you. In the states it is mostly sold through BMW dealerships as it is the engine oil for some M motors.

You can get the FSM here: http://www.helminc.com

Hello Ernie,

Visit the ZR-1 Net Registry site. There is a wealth of info there for your new car. Also consider joining the zoo!!

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/index.htm

The Castrol is the oil for your tranny. Mobil 1 10/30 is the engine oil and a Bosch filter #3401 is becoming the filter of choice. Rear gear lube is standard and just use per your manual.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom