Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

newbie 84 Corvette tranny problem

shorkey

Corvette
Hi everybody. Im new to this forum and my first thread is about a tranny problem lol! I have a 84 Corvette that I got just before winter. While the body is modified, the mechanical side is pretty much stock.
Well took her out for the first time since the fall yesterday. Engine started right up wich led to my first smile not sexually related since the fall. But then I took her for a spin and she does not shift! I can shift it to drive, reverse, neutral and back to park no problem. But the tranny does not seem to shift out of 1st gear. I drove her until 4000rpm and still no shift so I did not take her farther. Well I checked the tranny oil (by the dipstick....I did not take off the pan) and at least on the dipstick the oil looks recent and clean...its red and not burnt. Now I tried to look for the T.V cable but I cant see it with crossfire setup. My haynes book shows pictures to locate the T.V cable but there pictures from a TPI setup. Anyways I work for a extended warranty company and Im having the Vette towed to a tranny shop we deal with and who gives us pretty good service and rates. Well before he gives me the diagnostic I would like to know what you guys think the problem could be. If the clucht pack was burned up, would the oil be burnt and or have metal in it? So what do you guys think, by general experience, is there a common problem on 84 Vette automatic trannys like a T.V cable problem, a connector problem or is this likely heading towards a tranny rebuild or swap?
Thanks in advance andhi to all from Mtl.
Chris

Remove the air cleaner top and base. You'll see the tv cable connected to the linkage of the passengers side throttle body.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom