Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie here and I need your guidance....

dirk_pitt

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Greetings to all!

I'm a 1st time Corvette owner who recently bought a 2002 coupe (what a machine) with low miles. (my friends say I'm going through mid-life, actually it took me this long to afford it)

I'm hoping someone here would be kind enough to help me with a recent problem I have after changing the DRL bulb on the right side. During the process I broke the bulb pulling it out of the socket and cut myself. After getting a pair of gloves I replaced the bulb and put it back in it's holder. Since then the headights won't pop up, everything else works fine, the headlights come on, the bright light indicator comes as normal, the DRL's work but no headlights coming up.
My first thought was I either tripped a circuit brealer, blew a fuse or unplugged something while I was reaching under the right headlight. Whatever the problem is, it's common to both headlights. I don't hear anything at all trying to happen when I turn the lights on. I checked the minifuses (3 & 4) that control the headlight motors and they were good. I also checked the maxi circuit breaker (#54) and it was good. Is there something in that area, perhaps a relay or something I unplugged or have I really screwed up something.

Any guidance on what next to check would be greatly appreciated....

Great forum you guys got here, hopefully I can contribute in the future as I learn more.

Dirk

Dirk,
Congratulations on your recent acquisition, and welcome to the :CAC .

Post some pics when you get a chance.

As to your question about the pop-ups not working, I did a forum search and came up with a couple of threads that may give you some ideas for a diagnosis of the problem:

FIRST thread,

SECOND thread.

Keep us informed of your findings!

-Patrick

Thanks for the reply....

Where is the "motor relay actuator control box" ? Is it by chance close to the right headlight where I was working?

Dirk

Dirk,

Can't help you with your problem, as I just got my first Vette (a 6 speed 02 Electron Blue Coupe with 18k miles), and am still learning a lot about the car. I was wondering what yours set you back? Here in the midwest, I paid 27,000 for mine, and thought it was a solid deal, but now I'm not so sure. I love the car, and would purchase it all over again, but was just wondering if prices were similar in your neck of the woods?

Good price, at least in my part of the country. I paid $2000 more and had 10,000 more miles. I went through a dealer here that I buy most of my vehicals from and I usually get a fair, not great deal. All I can say about mine was it was flawless with only a few small road chips on the front. I don't regret buying mine at all, just mad at myself for not being able to do a simple thing like changing a bulb without creating more problems. I'm hoping the mass intelligence here can help me.

Dirk

I was very fortunate to get the car. The gentleman I purchased it from had some other significant expenses coming up and had to liquidate right away. He had taken spectacular care of it, as it was his 6th Corvette.

The experience you're having with yours is precisely why I'm a little intimidated to jump in and do anything much to mine. I'm not a bad mechanic, actually pretty good when it comes to motorcycles and atvs, plus I do most of my own work on my truck. But, the Vette is just so complex looking, and has so many computer controlled doodads and whatsits, that it freaks me out a little to tear into doing much besides checking the oil and swapping air filters. Hell, I'm afraid I'm gonna break something when I pop the hood, cuz it almost feels "fragile". Maybe that's just the newness, and it will wear off.

Would it be suspicious if fuse #22 (Body Control Module) in the instrument panel was completely GONE? Or is that the one for accessories?

Dirk

I would encourage everyone who owns a vette and is considering performing ANY of their own work, to pick up the Service Manuals. Depending on the year, they run (new) from $100 to $135. Ken Fitchner has the best prices (outside of Ebay) that I found. Total value, and will aid in diagnostics (with not much more than a Digital Volt-Ohm meter), provide location details and much much more.

HTH,
Joe............. Save the Wave :w

silver98 said:
I would encourage everyone who owns a vette and is considering performing ANY of their own work, to pick up the Service Manuals. Depending on the year, they run (new) from $100 to $135. Ken Fitchner has the best prices (outside of Ebay) that I found. Total value, and will aid in diagnostics (with not much more than a Digital Volt-Ohm meter), provide location details and much much more.

HTH,
Joe............. Save the Wave :w

Now you tell me..... ;)

Dirk, welcome to the CAC.
I did a search on fuse 22 and found several threads/posts that indicate it is indeed unused.

Good luck...

Tammy

Thank you for the info....

I took the vette to my mechanic and he's tracing down the problem. Several things aren't working in addition to the headlight motors such as the taillights, the dashlights, and the fog lights. I suspect when it's all said and done he'll find a wire pulled off something or a defective relay. There's a lesson in this somewhere....

Dirk

Love the Torch Red color!!!!!!

Where in the world do you come off buying a meager vette when l have over 15 exotic's sitting in my garage. And a 300C vert that was just redone.

Clive Cussler

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom