Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie intro/76 oversize tires

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to the Corvette ranks. I bought a 1976 late last summer and am starting to work on the little things.

The previous owner mounted a set of Goodyear Eagle II P255/60 R15 tires. Since he hadn't bothered with a spare, I went out an purchased a wheel and tire only to find it won't fit in the spare tire well.

Anyone out there solved this problem? Since this is a driver, I'm thinking of cutting the tub mounting bolts having extensions welded into the bolts to open it up far enough to fit a spare of this size.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DanC

My .02, if it were me I would look into finding a tire that will fit and at the same time work with whats on the car, similiar to the space saver concept on the new cars.

Bob

76 oversize tires

Bobchad,
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought of your solution, but I still need to put a flat oversize tire someplace after putting the spare on. Even flat, the Eagle II won't fit (tried it).

Maybe that's what the "luggage" rack is for, if you have one of them.. :D

Do you need a spare due to local saftey inspections?

If so, grab a space saver from a third gen Camaro, toss it back there. You might get one from the scrap yard for $5. Then, carry a can of fix o flat and a portable air compressor (cig light mount).

The drawback to the large spare is.

1. The time and expense you will spend modifying the car to make it fit
2. It is much heavier than the space saver, and every pound you can cut off the car the faster it goes, and better fuel mileage.
3. Most people I know have never used the spare, therefore, you may spend the time and money for something that you never have to access.
4. The ZO6 without run flat tires comes from the factory with no spare, a can of fix-o-flat, and portable pump.

Just my .02

Oh, and welcome to CAC. How about some pictures?

76 oversize spare

69myway,
Thanks for the reply. I have a plug kit and a DC powered air compressor that I carry with me. I'd prefer the security of a spare tire, although in almost 40 years of driving, I've only had to change one flat. I figure, I'll only need if I don't have it.

I also understand that an inflated spare in the tub helps with the structural integrity of the rear of the car.

When I figure out how to put up a picture, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom