Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

newbie, need help with codes

jerry4

Corvette
2001 conv
2001 convert, change to a new battery, drove 7miles no problems, even turn around and started the vet
back up after I got out just to make sure it would start. 2 hrs later nothing, turn over. on panel,
reduced engine power , tow it home. that was 5 days ago. tried everything I could find,still nothing
last thing, I got 4 codes. c1214,p1518,c1276, u1064
c1214 - solenoid valve relay coil
p1518 - throttle actuator module, serial data circuit
c1276 - delivered torque signal malfunction
u1064 - lost of communication with BCM (body control module)
to me this means I need to repair or buy new one - EBCM
im I right ? any help would be appreciate

Jerry

I'm REALLY new @ c5's BUT...I used to me an electronics engineer ( retired )....
1) For just changing a battery you have ALOT of faults.
Did you notice if there was any leakage from the old battery? The PCM ( engine computer ) lives under the battery tray...
If battery acid got down there , at minimum a good cleaning of all electrical connections would be a must.

2) There are a few grounds in the engine bay, that need to be taken apart & cleaned or random gremilins will happen...
Corvette electrical ground locations and servicing C5 models by froggy - YouTube

3) I would also check the BCM.... I BELIEVE it is located on the pass side floor ( you have to pull the floor mat N Carpet to get to it ) .
If the car is / was an outside car it is possible that water got in the BCM area....

4) Was the car a SALVAGE or any accidents ??

Mike

reduced engine power, on info center on the dash

I'm REALLY new @ c5's BUT...I used to me an electronics engineer ( retired )....
1) For just changing a battery you have ALOT of faults.
Did you notice if there was any leakage from the old battery? The PCM ( engine computer ) lives under the battery tray...
If battery acid got down there , at minimum a good cleaning of all electrical connections would be a must.

2) There are a few grounds in the engine bay, that need to be taken apart & cleaned or random gremilins will happen...
Corvette electrical ground locations and servicing C5 models by froggy - YouTube

3) I would also check the BCM.... I BELIEVE it is located on the pass side floor ( you have to pull the floor mat N Carpet to get to it ) .
If the car is / was an outside car it is possible that water got in the BCM area....

4) Was the car a SALVAGE or any accidents ??

Mike
did everything you said. c1214 is in the ebcm, p1518 coming from their,c1276 is reduced engine power, u1064 would be the lost of communication to the bcm. if im right I need to fix or buy a ebcm.
I don't know if im right. that's what im wanting to know, tks for your input jy

Last edited:
I sent my ECBM to ABS fixer..

$150 and ~ 3 day turnaround maybe faster for you ( location ) ...

Mike

C1214 is an EBCM fault and it sets when the system voltage drops below 8v. The fix is either replacement of the controller, or both the controller and the modulator valve. You need the Factory Service Manual and a scan tester to decide which.

C1276 is a traction control fault. It sets when EBCM either detects the delivered torque signal is not as expected or when there is no delivered torque signal at all. Special equipment (a J-tool known as a "breakout box") is necessary to diagnose this code. I figure there is a fair chance that this code might be solved when you solved the C1214.

P1518 is a fault in the specific serial data line between the TAC module and the ECM. There are a number of reasons why it can set and one of them is low system voltage. The diagnostic for that is three pages long and you need a dealer-grade scan tester to diagnose it.

U1064 is, as you state, a loss of coummunicaiton with the BCM. There are many reasons why U codes can set. Sometimes they just go away when you repair other problems but sometimes they don't. One thing you can do up front is check all connections at the BCM including any grounds. If all connections are ok there are additional tests which can be performed using a dealer-grade scan tester.

If you don't have the FSM, get one. It will be invaluable if you're trying to fix the problems by DIY.

Two of these codes can set if there is low system voltage so one thing you can, also, do up front is make sure your battery, battery cables and alternator are in good condition.

You also can throw parts at these problems but...that can get a little pricey.

Good luck.

C1214 is an EBCM fault and it sets when the system voltage drops below 8v. The fix is either replacement of the controller, or both the controller and the modulator valve. You need the Factory Service Manual and a scan tester to decide which.

C1276 is a traction control fault. It sets when EBCM either detects the delivered torque signal is not as expected or when there is no delivered torque signal at all. Special equipment (a J-tool known as a "breakout box") is necessary to diagnose this code. I figure there is a fair chance that this code might be solved when you solved the C1214.

P1518 is a fault in the specific serial data line between the TAC module and the ECM. There are a number of reasons why it can set and one of them is low system voltage. The diagnostic for that is three pages long and you need a dealer-grade scan tester to diagnose it.

U1064 is, as you state, a loss of coummunicaiton with the BCM. There are many reasons why U codes can set. Sometimes they just go away when you repair other problems but sometimes they don't. One thing you can do up front is check all connections at the BCM including any grounds. If all connections are ok there are additional tests which can be performed using a dealer-grade scan tester.

If you don't have the FSM, get one. It will be invaluable if you're trying to fix the problems by DIY.

Two of these codes can set if there is low system voltage so one thing you can, also, do up front is make sure your battery, battery cables and alternator are in good condition.

You also can throw parts at these problems but...that can get a little pricey.

Good luck.
thank you, that's what I needed to hear. i'll take in out(embc) and send it off. going to ck the grounds first. again, appreciate the help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom