Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

srthom13

Corvette
1966 - 427/425 - Black Coupe
I came upon this forum about a month ago and I am still in the process of reading ALL the past threads. I am so amazed with the knowledge, experience , know how and comaraderie that I have to read every one. Just wish I had came across this forum sooner. I have been the proud owner on a 66 Black 427- 425 Coupe since 1974. The vehicle currently has 97240 original miles and is equipped with factory side pipes, AM/FM radio , electric antenna , M21 4 speed trans, 4:11 posi rear, black vinyl seats, black exterior with orange stinger ( not original paint ) . I purchased the vehicle exactly the way it is back in 9/1974. At the time of purchase it had 72000 original miles. Except for the typical maintenance and repairs the vehicle has stayed the the same. It has always been garaged and does not have any rust. The exterior paint , which I believe not to be original, is in good shape with only a few stress cracks. The interior , which was originally dark green, was replaced by me back in 1976 with black. The dash/gauges are all original as is the AM/FM radio. About a year ago I decided to replace the entire brake system ( the calipers , as usual had leaked ) but as everybody knows one thing lead to the next and I found myself in my garage ( good thing ) checking and replacing everything and I mean everything. I have a little ways to go before the beast hits the road again but I will tell you it has been a very enjoyable experience and there is a lot of self satisfaction involved. I still have many questions and look forward to sharing information, techniques and stories with you guys. Thanks for listening --- Steve

Welcome :CAC
1966 427 425hp very cool

Gary

Hi Steve,

Welcome. Bunch of really nice, knowledgeable people here.

Your car sounds great.

Pedro

:w

Welcome Steve,

You will enjoy your time spent here.

Tom

Thanks Guys, It is a pleasure being here. Going through the numerous threads I found myself runnig out to the garage every so often checking on certiain items, parts or numbers. That one tip on collapsing the front spring would have come in real handy 10 months ago when I replaced the lower A arm bushings. Steve

What do you turn in the 1/4 mile ? or are you a waxum dont driveum type (I am not being a wise guy) I have a 1966 tripleblack 427 convertable ,driver. over the years as winter projects , rebuilt suspension , rebuilt 427 ( vintage 66 block & restamp) installed Endlebrock alum oval port heads, comp cams xtreme energy cam, MSD ignition & more, 308 HWY gears & no headers ,sock side exhaust, Best et 13.3 @ 105 MPH. I am new to this forum also visiting from Corvette Forum "SEMPER FI" The Dog. woof

Straydog, Nice wheels -- love those 66 427's . 13.3 in the 1/4 mile with 3:08 gears is pretty good. How do you like the MSD ignition? What kind of spark plug wires and spark plugs are you using? What did you have done on the rebuild? Mine is a driver, but only when the weather is clear -- no rain or snow. I never had it clocked in the 1/4 mile but I will probably give it a try when I finish with the restoration. I do recall it being scarey fast and you can really smokem off the line. My engine is currenty out of the vehicle and being sent to the shop for a complete blueprint/rebuild. I just finished up with the rest of the vehicle -- new complete ss brake system, mc and calipers, all new suspension bushings & parts front & rear -- everything, complete M21 tranny rebuild, new drive shaft & half shaft joints, new front & rear bearings, new trans yoke, new clutch & bearing, re-cored radiator, new battery and many other odds and ends. It was alot of work but a great time. Hopefully the engine will completed in a month or so. Can't wait to get back on the road again. By the way what kind of gas are you running ? Tell me more about your ride? Steve

Steve welcome to the forum

Is it the original motor? If yes you should not have the vin removed off the block when they are rebuilding the engine.Regaurdless if your into matching numbers or not.

Do you have any picture you can share?

STRAYDOG said:
What do you turn in the 1/4 mile ? or are you a waxum dont driveum type (I am not being a wise guy) I have a 1966 tripleblack 427 convertable ,driver. over the years as winter projects , rebuilt suspension , rebuilt 427 ( vintage 66 block & restamp) installed Endlebrock alum oval port heads, comp cams xtreme energy cam, MSD ignition & more, 308 HWY gears & no headers ,sock side exhaust, Best et 13.3 @ 105 MPH. I am new to this forum also visiting from Corvette Forum "SEMPER FI" The Dog. woof

Stray dog Welcome also I reconize your name from the other forum.

IH2Lose, Yep, The entire engine is original ( heads, crank, manifolds cam etc. ) Good point to mention to other members who plan to rebuild. When I brought the engine into the shop I made them aware of all the casting dates, part numbers, engine vin on block pad, all identifing marks/numbers and that they should not be altered in anyway. It put them on notice that I was aware of such numbers. They knew right away the value of the engine/parts. Their initial responses were " They don't make them like this anymore ", " Haven't seen one of these in years ", and the one that made me laugh ( inside of course ) was " these are worth alot of money ". I make it a point to visit the shop often and at different times to check on the status of the engine. I also made it a point to get to know the owner on a personal basis. So far , knock on wood , everything going fine, a little slow, but fine. By the way, what kind of gas are you using in your 66 BB? I am concerned that when my engine is complete it is going to be damn close to the original specs. That is, domed 11:1 pistons, solid lifter cam and a holley 850cfm. Here on Long Island Sunoco does not sell 94 anymore, only 93 like the rest of the thiefs. Also, most, if not all gas suppliers are mixing their gas with some kind of ethynol or methynol ( spelling probably wrong ) no more MTBE. Any suggestions? I will try get get some photos. Steve

Steve I am running sunaco ulta 94.

I have the timing retarded a bit.When I first purchased the car the fellow was running cam 2 racing fuel in it.Smelled great and it was fun to pull into a show with everyone saying hes running cam 2 init.But its too rich for my pockets and a real nusance to have the drums of fuel delivered to my home.

Even with detuning the car I think it has more HP then a person can put to the ground,

runs like a kitten below 3500 and then really comes to life around 4800.I love the car.And I think the motor is one of the best I have ever owned.I always had big block mustangs and they would run out of steam.this motor winds up real fast and is strong all the way up.

I have had excellent results with the timing being left a little retarded.Speak to your builder about it. I have never heard of 93 octane before but I dont think 1 octane would make that large of an impact

Welcome Steve,
Great bunch of guys here. Many good discussions. I've learned allot. Even when the discussions get heated everyone seems to keep their cool... pretty much. :L

67Heaven, That is one beautiful paint job. What color red is that called? Outstanding. Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom