Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Nitrous

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
I had a question about sitting up a nos sniper nitrous system. I have an edelbrock performer intake and carburettor. I'm a bit confused about the amount of gas I'll need. I know I'll need to install a larger fuel pump. I'm not exactly sure of the type or performance of the pump though.

I know the kit will have jets on a plate that bolts under the carburettor. The kit itself seems straight forward enough. However, do I set the carb to run rich so it will have enough fuel for when the nitrous kicks in. With fuel injection the computer would dump in more fuel. How can I do this with a carb? ;shrug

Thanks for any help.

A plate system on a four-barrel engine will have to solenoids to control the system.

One solenoid controls the nitrous oxide. The other solenoid controls the extra fuel. The amount of nitrous and extra fuel delivered are determined by jets in each circuit.

It is likely you'll need more fuel flow, either a high-performance mechanical or an electric.

You would normally be able to run 100hp NOS from the stock pump if it's in good condition.
It is adviseable to run another pump to the fuel side of the NOS plates solenoid , a Holley red or blue should do well.4-6 PSI is good.
Your carb is not touched , you control how rich you run when using NOS by the jet orifice size on the fuel side of the system.
The problem you face is that to run the NOS you will also have to run retarded for safety sake and the car will perform like a dog without the NOS -- so in addition to all that , a MSD retard system will work well , in fact a MSD 6AL ignition system is also a recommendation to get the strong spark needed to ignite the mix.
The biggest danger of NOS is that the fuel side underperforms due to blockages or bad fuel flow and the engine runs lean and melts pistons.
All the other components of the engine must be strong and tip top to run nos safely - and your Compression ratio needs to be low too -- 100+hp at 9:1 or so , near 10:1 and up is looking for detonation trouble...of course premium fuel must be used.
Its self evident that the box , diff etc must handle the extra hp , and if you dont have a progressive system , it all comes in in one smack , a shock to the engine.
I would start of at 50 hp and progress up in 25 hp steps and retard 2-3 degrees at 50 hp and a degree for every 25 hp after that.
If the system backfires ever , just let go the button , it's running lean , if the car stumbles and belches smoke when you hit the button , reduce Fuel jets or add more nos. Always close the bottle after use , you can get nos seeping past the solenoid seals and into the intake and when you start the car next - boom.
Despite my doom and gloom , NOS is safe and quite cheap..just another method of "forced" induction

I've also been looking into superchargers. From what I found Nos is the most "bang" for the buck. I happened to run across a kit on the internet the other day allowing you to use a supercharger off a 3.8L. I didn't think a 3.8 supercharger would push enough psi to account for the large difference in cubic inch between a 3.8 and a 5.7L. Am I wrong about this? I know where I can get a practically new 3.8 supercharger off a gtp for dirt cheap.

Also, how do you get around the fuel curve problem with a supercharger? There is no ecu on a carbureted vehicle to adjust the air fuel ratio. Sorry, if you haven't noticed I switched from ricer to muscle. I used to own a turbocharged eclipse. Still trying to relearn everything.

Nitrous oxide is certainly better "bang" for the buck than a blower but in either case, "Rodney Gold's" observation that....
All the other components of the engine must be strong and tip top to run

...is very wise advice.

I have a freshly rebuilt engine, so I'm pretty sure it's in good running order. Does anyone know if a supercharger off a 3800 will work or not?

You will have similar problems with a blower re compression ratio as well as having a limit on the boost you can use due to detonation.
I would get a bolt on kit from one of the more reputable sc suppliers.
What carb are you running.
No system for delivering substantial HP boost in the 100+ range will be "cheap" in the long run , I like SCs cos power is there right from idle all the time..Feels more like a bigger CU inch motor than with NOS or turbos.

I have a freshly rebuilt engine, so I'm pretty sure it's in good running order. Does anyone know if a supercharger off a 3800 will work or not?

It will not.
Not only will it be too small but no one makes an intake manifold to adapt a blower from a 3800 to a small-block V8.

whom is a reputable company for 1974 corvette superchargers?

Have you considered Procharger? They make centrifugal units.

"Bang for the buck" was mentioned. In the short term, NOS is cheaper. But if you plan on keeping your car, then a supercharger setup is a one time deal. NOS will nickel & dime in the long term. Although I have no idea how much NOx you can get for the cost of a supercharger setup.

When thinking about supercharger setups, keep in mind the total cost to be up & running. If you spend $2500 on a supercharger setup, what kind of mods could you do to the engine for $2500 that will keep it naturally aspirated ("NA").

I was kicking around adding a procharger to my ZZ4 setup, but then when I figured out what the total cost would be, I started thinking, "Hmmm...what's the cost to turn my engine in a ZZ383 or more?"

But coming back to a NOS setup, ya can't beat it for quick, cheap kicks. I thought it would be fun to put a little cheater NOS bottle in place of the rear glove box. No one's the wiser when the can't see it! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom