Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No brake lights on my 71 shark!!

Brad Case

Corvette
2004 LS-6 Z06 405 Millenium Yellow & 1998 LS-1 Cpe
Help!! My GF was following me to a car show over the weekend (she drives a 96 LT-4) and advised me upon arrival that my brake lights didn't work. Well, I don't use them (the brakes) much anyway :D but I wanted to fix them and I have checked out everything and they still don't work. I checked the fuses, the other lights all work, parking, backup, turn signals, flashers, side lamps. I pulled and checked the bulbs. Everything seems A-okay. The conclusion is the switch on the pedal is bad. Isn't that a long shot?? Am I missing something?? Are there any fusable links I don't know about?

Thanks for any ideas!

Brad,

The power goes through the brake switch on the upper brake pedal assembly, then flows to the rear lights.

It is adjustable, as in you can make it so that it is closer to the brake pedal lever.

These switches are inexpensive and can be found at most autoparts stores. Trouble is, you have to nearly stand on your head to get under there and replace it.

So how is it that the GF has the LT-4? Does she race it?

Chris and Brad,
The power goes from the brake lite switch to the turn signal switch and then to the rear lites. Check for power going into the brake lite switch and for power coming out when the pedal is depressed. Most likely a bad switch.

Mike

Continuity test not enough

Brake light switches can continuity test ok; but, not conduct enough juice to fire up lights....mine was a not too shining (at least the lights) example of just that...replace switch first, beat your head against the wall if needed later.

Louie

Hey guys thanks for the advice and help. Turns out it WAS the brake light switch. I though those things were indestructible! But, I managed to squeeze myself under the dash by practically standing on my head and got the job done. Now I'm all legal and safe for my next cruise!!

Wavin
:w :w

They are indestructible

They just don't conduct electricity as well as they once did! You should have had someone take your picture in the contortionist position required to get to that thing. I have found that taking out the seat is not that hard and makes the job a little more comfortable.

Glad your back on the road....why not make the Sharkfest?

Louie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom