Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

no check engine light

jj_long81

Corvette
L81 origional
hello. well ive got to know if my ecm could be failing. the check engine light does not work. new bulbs and have checked the circuit board for continuity from connector to circuit board. its okay. car runs poorly and the gas light does not work either. last thing that happened was a break in the main ground under the battery. it was so old it fell apart. while i was starting the car it went dead and i could smell somthing burnt. this may have overloaded somthing. so no check engine light or low fuel light and it run but cannot pull codes. anybody know somthing about this problem?

The ECM light and low fuel light are two different things and two different problems. For the fuel light, check if you have the little circuitboard on the back off the light. If so you can get it out when you take out the glovebox. Check if the light will work using a 12v source. From the top of my head but you need to dubble check this. Connect the left terminal to ground, right side to 12v and the terminal under the light also to ground. After connecting the last terminal to ground after about 10 seconds or less the light should turn on, if not then the circuitbord is broken or you need to swith the ground and 12v. :)

For the ECM light. Start with getting another ECM from somebody (a good one) and check if the vette runs better on that one, saves you alot of time. I've done the same for somebody and its a simple and easy check and nothing can go wrong. If there is a difference you can also pull and swap the prom to see if the problem is the prom or the ECM. Good luck :)

Greetings Peter

A bad ground can cause all sorts of unusual behavior of things. Do yourself a favor and assure that all the grounding issues are thoroughly addressed before proceeding in debugging anything else.

okay. thank you. where else would i look forbad ground. there is two on center crossmember under battery, the altewrnator i think there was two on there but where else should i look?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom