Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No hot start--new starter

The charging system and battery is being checked at an auto electric shop, but he said he has seen many, many bad Optima batteries lately, two of them brand new! They will look at my rewiring, too.

The engine has about 2000 miles now.

Thanks.

On that subject ...

My Optima battery (red top) has been fine with me, but now that you bring it up Mike, about there possibly being some bad Optima batteries sold, I wonder if that's Scott's problem with his new Z06. His battery drains for no apparent reason. I gotta tell him about this. ;)

Thanks! :w

WhalePirot said:
The charging system and battery is being checked at an auto electric shop, but he said he has seen many, many bad Optima batteries lately, two of them brand new!
I have always heard great things about the Optimas, but of late the comments have turned toward the negative.

They will look at my rewiring, too.
The battery relocation kits are useful but, and this is coming from my drag racing background, the wires were always scrapped and replaced with at least #0. And these were strictly drag cars with not much going on, electricalwise. A volt or two drop may not seem like much, but when supply voltage goes down, amperage goes up. More amps = more heat.

I just picked up the car and it sounded different(better) on both (successful) start attempts.

The shop owner said he had further researched Optima batteries and found that some dealers have stopped selling the 'red tops' due to problems. The yellows and blues (deep cycle) seem to be okay, but are not meant for normal automotive applications.

Also: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485953#post485953

Hard and hot drive tonight. I killed it once and shut down another. New battery worked like a champ.

Oh how nice to have the hot rod back!

Damn, damn Optima!

I am happy to see your problem is finally resolved. :Steer Seems we get reminded again and again not to assume anything. Even when a part is new doesn't mean it is ok. :hb I have fallen victim time and again and I just don't seem to learn. :duh This is the reason that even if I think I know what the problem is not I ask opinions . :w

90 Starter problem

I'm hearing a lot of techno-troubleshooting. Once my '90 (70k) heats up it will not start, not even a 'click click click'. After 30-60 minutes it will fire up. I am ready to install a new starter, am I going down the wrong road?
Thanks,
Bill

Be sure to check all connections related to the starter.

Glenn
:w

This thread has served as a pretty good discussion to bring out the ELECTRICAL considerations for the hot/no start problem, but there is one thing that has been ignored:

If you run into this issue and the engine has been recently rebuilt, you should concern yourself with the mechanical possibilities. I've seen a few engines over the years exhibit this problem when the bearings were set up too tight.

If you are experiencing this with an engine that has started fine in the past, you should not have to consider such a possibilty, but if it is a relatively fresh engine, don't overlook such a possibility.

My $0.02,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom