Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No more car cover

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
Last year i bought a stratmosphere :mad car cover. It looks great on the car. Custom fit for all generation vettes. My pickup is in the body shop for damage done from snow plowing. So I'm using my second car (vette) since the weather has been nice here. Been leaving the cover off. I noticed that this particular cover is leaving marks along the edges of the car. ex. rear bumper all along edges and the front hood nose, wheel fenders. where ever the cover wraps on the car. :mad When spring arrives I will have it detailed.
Am I being foolish by leaving it uncovered? It stays outside no room in the garage. Or maybe a different cover? Went through 3 or so covers between this vette and the last one. Thanks,
Have nice day!
Paul:w

No matter what cover you buy, if the car is outside the wind/breeze will "flutter" the cover and cause all that, Bra's do same thing no matter which one you purchase. Both my Vettes are garaged, I do have covers for them.

You don't have room in the garage for your vette? That's the first time I've ever heard that phrase.:L:L:L. When you use a car cover you are trading off potential problems from the sun, other weather, birds etc. for abrasion from the cover. When I had to leave my Vette outside in Chicago, I only used a cover during the summer when the trees and birds were issues. During the winter, I just made sure it was well waxed with the windows shaded. You also have to resist the temptation to brush off snow and ice. Doing that WILL result in scratches and hazing.

Car cover?

I have noticed over the years the covers do more harm than good.

:ugh I agree 1000% with the above posts. If your car is nice and clean, and you park it inside a garage, and put a nice clean or new cover on the car, that is the last time you'll be able to have a no problem with the cover issue. I park my 2003 inside my garage and even if I wash the car and pull into the garage, and I put the cover I used last year over the car, then all the dirt that 'Was" on the old cover now get deposited on your fresh paint and you will find in a month or two and remove the cover, you've got slight scratches.

I've tried three different covers, expensive and not so expensive and I now won't even consider using one again. Their more trouble than they are worth. Better to just wash your car and put it away for the winter with out a cover. I personally would never park my baby outside for long periods of time, but so goes it for some of us. But I've learned my lesson as far as covers or as well noted above, Bras, I'm not faulting anyone using a bra, but the best lesson I learned from the folks here and at other Corvette sites is put the bra on, drive to your destination and as soon as your there, take the damn thing off and either wash the car or wash the bra, but don't put the thing back on if either surfaces are dirty. Your way better off with out a cover or bra in the long run. :w

I have noticed over the years the covers do more harm than good.

Agreed!

Really- the best car cover is a garage. This I think you know.

Is there anyway you can get the car in the garage? Perhaps stack stuff a little higher on itself to free up some room. :thumb :chuckle

Kane, you mean kind of like this?

garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-21.jpg

Paul,

Get that Corvette into the garage!!! Whatever automobile is in there can stay outside. We have an over-sized two-car garage, and our two Corvettes and a friend's motorcycle reside there. Our other two vehicles are outside, 12 months of the year. And that's the way it should be! :L:L

Elaine

I would love nothing more than to garage my vette. But, there is no way. I will have to put kids bikes and my home improvement tools outside. It's a one car detached garage so room is limited. I can make it fit if I really wanted to. But I'll wait for kids to get little older (in no rush for that) and then, I will get a brand new vette and keep that garaged:thumb. So right now it's uncovered outside. If it's going to snow i will cover it and only then. That is my best option. Comes spring, when all the trees start to bloom and that green stuff comes off i will keep it covered. I don't have any trees above to worry about especially for bird droppings.
Tell you this though... with the cover off and weather being above average I drive it more, because I don't have to take the cover off. If the cover is on I contemplate whether or not to go out for the ride or even on an errand. :thumb

:wPaul

This is going to be something of a departure from the group experience on the topic: but I've successfully used indoor covers in the past without any paint damage; perhaps, though, I've just been more careful with them -- more diligent about shaking out dust from the cover and making sure the car itself is clean before re-applying them...? I will also readily admit that I've typically not used a cover at all unless the vehicle is being stored in a garage that's outside of my direct control, and concur that no cover is probably the best way to go, if at all possible.

I've never been a fan of outdoor car covers or bras for the same reasons that have already been discussed.

Consider Remodeling The House

Park it in the first floor bedroom.

For sure you shouldn't put a cover on a dirty car. The converse is also true. Keep mine in a garage and only cover it during the winter storage period. In the summer it sits inside without the cover. However, I have notice that no matter how careful I am, leaving it inside for a couple of weeks without the cover can result is some dust landing on it, expecially if the garage door is opened and closed two or more times a day. Someone suggested a pretty good idea that I will pass on. If you keep a Vette in a garage there is no reason to buy a cover. Buy two king size all cotton sheets and have someone sew them together. When you want to cover it, drape them over. Plus, they can be easily washed and dryed. Of course, sheets only work for inside storage.

California Dusters

1109.jpg

Here is my Corvette garage protection plan......feel free to copy it......those are waterbed sheets from the old days and a nice piece of styrofoam to keep Huskerwoman from getting a little crazy with the Tahoe door. :thumb

I always hated putting on a car cover.......

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjAtMjAxMjAyMTAtMTAwNS5qcGc.jpg

Marcus, I was half expecting a paisley design on the sheets! ;LOL

I would love nothing more than to garage my vette. But, there is no way. I will have to put kids bikes and my home improvement tools outside. It's a one car detached garage so room is limited. I can make it fit if I really wanted to. But I'll wait for kids to get little older (in no rush for that) and then, I will get a brand new vette and keep that garaged:thumb. So right now it's uncovered outside. If it's going to snow i will cover it and only then. That is my best option. Comes spring, when all the trees start to bloom and that green stuff comes off i will keep it covered. I don't have any trees above to worry about especially for bird droppings.
Tell you this though... with the cover off and weather being above average I drive it more, because I don't have to take the cover off. If the cover is on I contemplate whether or not to go out for the ride or even on an errand. :thumb

A storage shed for the bicycles and tools...always a garage for the 'vette. :thumb To answer your question though, if it has to be outside I would cover it.

I bought a 10 X20 portable car garage for a classic car I have.
It cost me $200.00 at Costco.
I had a cover for two years and I agree with most that is not the way to go.

portable garage

I looked up the costco site but can find no mention of a portable garage. Anyone know where I might find one ?........Roger.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom