Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Non Run Flats Your Experience???

180k on a few sets of GS D3's
runcraps suck

HankG

You have a point regarding the peace of mind run flats afford. But how many have people have experieced catastorphic flats lately? I have not had a flat at all for about 20 yrs and that was a slow leak due to a nail which was repaired at a local gas station.

Your comment re the pressure sensor may be valid but the flat kit is for extreme emergency (flat late at night in a sparsely habitated area). Normally, a cell phone call will bring help from any one of various service orgs like AAA and spare the sensor.

Again, flats rarely happen and there is a trade-off of handling vs peace of mind.

I was toying with the idea of purc hasing a new set of non runflat tires and then I had a sudden explosive flat on my left front tire at around 60. I ran over a piece of metal that I didn't see and it punched a hole in the side of the tire. I don't know if you have ever had a flat at speed in a front tire, but it can be deadly. The sensors reported the flat and the car drove fine with no apparant loss of handling. I slowed to 50 and drove another 20 miles and had to replace the tire. I decided I can handle a little noise and loss of handling, since I don't race. And my BillyBoat Bullet mufflers are much louder than the tires.

If you do chose regular high performance tires and carry a kit, keep in mind that the can of air/sealant that you can use to reinflate a flat will destroy your air pressure sensors and they are very expensive to replace.

Life Is Full Of Trade Offs

I went with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW2's. Very little noise and
they stick much better than the OEM Goodyear runflats.
Remo:cool

2745981500103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

I just purchased the Mischelin A/S Zero Pressure (Run Flats) for the 02 coupe; since tire prices are going to significantly increase in early 2010 according to the Denver Post, I decided to purchase now from REX TIRE in Colorado Springs. Since the corvettes are in storage (it's snowing again today) until April, REX will store them for me in their heated facility. I intend to put new tire pressure sensors in when the tires are mounted. Mine should be near the end of their battery life.
As for the previous post about not having a flat in 20 years and that choising non Run Flats over Run Flats are a trade-off for extreme emergency, it only takes one emergency to happen to you to appreciate the Run Flat ability to get you stopped successfully. Since musch of my driving is on curvy mountain roads, safety is more important than noise. If the run flats are too noisy, I just turn off my hearing aids and turn the radio volume up. But then, as is stated in all the posts about tires, it is a personal choice.
Barrett

:thumb

I put GSD3's on my 04 vert a year ago and love them. Much less noise and better handling.

IMG_0005-1.jpg
:beerI've used them for 8-9 years w/o ANY issues

i also have an 04 CE convertible and i disagree. i don't believe that runflats handle anywhere nearly as good as many of the premium tires that are available for our cars. .

I fully agree with you. Tire for tire the run flats have a harder compound and do not grip anywhere as well as conventional tires. They are a compromise that was necessary to facilitate elimination of the spare tire in order to provide a trunk on the C5 series. Those I know who enjoy spirited driving would not consider a run flat on their vehicle. I have run flat Stones on my C5 but they were on there when I bought it. Nitto’s on my C4 and they really grip. I don't notice any serious noise from the stones.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom