Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

non-vette AC problems

AnytownUSA

Corvette
1994 Black on Black 6spd
My nephew has a 91 Nissan 240SX on which the AC has quit working. I cannot tell if the compressor is shot because every time I turn the AC on it blows the 10amp fuse in the fuse box. I do not hear the compressor clutch engaging as the fuse blows immediately. The blower works great, but right now it is only blowing hot air. It is an R12 system that I plan to convert to 134 but I want the system working before I do that. Any ideas as to why I would be blowing fuses that are not running the fan/blower? Does the compressor have an electric feed to it? I thought the compressors only pulled from the engine and not from the electrical system. Evidently I was wrong. It does not have any automatic air or anything like that, and it does not matter vent setting I have it on it blows the fuse regardless. I do not know how much current the AC is pulling through the 10amp fuse yet but I will check that tonight if that would help anything. Thanks for your help.

You really should have the Shop Manual for the car so you understand the circuitry involved with the A/C system; the compressor has a 12-volt feed for the clutch coil - that's what engages the clutch. If the compressor clutch coil (or the feed wire to it) is shorted to ground, that's what's blowing the fuse immediately.

I highly recommend www.aircondition.com Once there click on "Straight to the Board."

Post any auto a/c question there and it will be answered quickly and accurately.

Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom