Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Not a good Day.

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
I dont believe this,I just picked up my 81 this afternoon after work after having the carpets and a few other interior parts done over,and now the interior is as new if not better,when on the way home,instead of going the back way due to rush hour traffic in that area, I took the Interstate.

All of a sudden about halfway home,bang! a stone hit the passenger side windshield,lower center and made a pretty good 6 inch spider web.

I almost got sick,the windshield is original and not a scratch or nick on it.

Soon as I got home, I contacted my collectors insurnace company (Classic (Infinity) and was told that i was covered, no deductible,and to call this special claim # tommorrow during regular business hours to get the windshield replaced.

Supposedly they deal with specialty glass comapnies that do
glasswork on older classic vehicles.

How hard will it be to get a oem correct windshield (I think that the 81's have a tint) ?

I will take time off from work if necessary, to bring the vette to wherever the glass repair place is,and will watch over them with a fine tooth comb,making sure the fit is perfect as the original one is.,and that they keep the cars finish protected.

Anyone had the windshield changed on their vettes?

Still numb over this. Maybe a few cold ones will help ease the stress.

Later Ken:beer

Here's a thread on the subject that you may find interesting.-----> Glass (ignore the snipes)

Correct date and logo glass is available from OEM Glass. I'd check to see if the service you will be using will have a problem with you getting the glass or if they could order it for you.

Tom

sorry for the late post but i had a company fix my original window. if i got to u too late, please tell me how it's going! Shelly

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for the concern.

Im having the Corvette shop.I deal with,and trust,do the replacement.

They ordered the oem correct windshield,and have one installer whom just does classic car and especially corvette windshields.

My collectors insurance does cover it,no deductable.

The spiderweb on the passenger side (4-5") way to large to repair.

Should have it done and in my 81 by middle of next week.

Thanks, Ken

Hello Ken,

This is your change to check the windshield frame! Especially in the upper corners and maybe on top is a change rust could kick in. If I remember correctly they have to take off all the targa chrome to get acces to the windshield so in the main while you could check for rust and fix it.
Just an idea :)

Groeten Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom