Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Not for nothin', but ....

iteachflyin

Corvette
2000 Lt. Pewter Coupe
When I go into the Corvette Action Center C5 General Forum and it says (1 viewing) am I to suppose that there is really only 1 person viewing that forum at that time? I guess what I'm saying is that that doesn't make for much feedback! When I go onto the Corvette Forum there are usually at least 300 Vetters viewing at any given moment.
Secondly, it seems that I see much of the same threads in both forums. Am I again to suppose that the same people subscribe to both forums? If so, and assuming there is a 300 to 1 ratio of Corvette Forum to Corvette Action Center Forum viewers, please help me understand the value-add provided here. I am not trying to be nasty or sarcastic about this. I have received some good insight from the couple of posts I've made here ... I just want to know if it's worth bouncing back and forth between forums. Thank you.

From my experience, if you post a question, you will get an informed and courtious reply to your inquiry on this forum.
A lot of people go between forum topics and do not appear on the forum list all the time, but we do check in frequently.
The Moderators and Administrators are always online, or it seems like it. ;)

At midnight on a weeknight, you probably won't see a lot of traffic in the technical forums here. And in general, this is a smaller site than some of the others. I have seen some forums that seem to have a huge number of people online, but the volume of posts isn't all that high. I have also been on forums where a thread can receive lots and lots of smilie-only-posts, but little useful info. And I have seen forums in which a technical question can just get lost in the sheer volume of other traffic.

I think you'll find that you'll get a lot of good info here, and a lot of respect from other members. You just have to be a little patient on responses to your threads. The question of value is one you'll have to answer for yourself. Some people like the faster pace of bigger forums, others find that quality over quantity is what they're searching for. It is up to you to decide which kind of atmosphere is for you.

As for similiar posts on different forums: Yes, there are many members here who read and post in other forums. There's nothing like getting a second opinion, right? :D Also, the issues that come up with corvettes seem to be pretty universal.

Tammy

It has been my experience that Rob and company at the Corvette Action Center have been and will be dedicated to being the best, most comprehensive site jam packed with technical info, member support and input, and friendly atmosphere. And though I know they're interested in numbers as it relates to viewers and responses to posts, I also know that numbers take a back seat to quality everytime. Nothing I have read from Rob says he wants to be the biggest. I agree with Tammy, you'll get alot of good info here, and you'll be treated with respect and courtesy. But only you can decide if the site meets your needs.

Hope you can find what you're looking for.

JAG

MsSchroder said:
At midnight on a weeknight, you probably won't see a lot of traffic in the technical forums here. And in general, this is a smaller site than some of the others. I have seen some forums that seem to have a huge number of people online, but the volume of posts isn't all that high. I have also been on forums where a thread can receive lots and lots of smilie-only-posts, but little useful info. And I have seen forums in which a technical question can just get lost in the sheer volume of other traffic.

I think you'll find that you'll get a lot of good info here, and a lot of respect from other members. You just have to be a little patient on responses to your threads. The question of value is one you'll have to answer for yourself. Some people like the faster pace of bigger forums, others find that quality over quantity is what they're searching for. It is up to you to decide which kind of atmosphere is for you.

As for similiar posts on different forums: Yes, there are many members here who read and post in other forums. There's nothing like getting a second opinion, right? :D Also, the issues that come up with corvettes seem to be pretty universal.

Tammy

Thank you very much. Perhaps my original thread was a bit harsh. I apologize, I really didn't mean to be disrespectful towards this site or its forums. I really just wanted the kind of answer that you provided me as to the quality of this forum and overall site vs. the quantity of information on others. I intend to learn as much as possible from those here and to become a useful member, particularly once I gain more Vette ownership experience. Thanks again.

Not harsh, just a good pointed question. Nothing wrong with that :cool

I was afraid it might turn into one of those "Hey, CAC is ok but site xxx is a whole lot better" kind of threads. < sigh of relief >

Glad everything is ok, and hope you find that this place is what you're looking for.

Tammy

The "other" Corvette forum has a big following of what I call professional forum posters who must either be on welfare, independently wealthy or retired as many have averaged over 20 posts a day for years. I believe this significantly devalues the forum as the vast majority of posts are just worthless chatter. That forum's administrators have also gotten the "GOD" complex and have stopped listening to members. Not Good. Perhaps that's why you won't find a post in the last several months by 95%+ of their members.

From what I have experienced of CAC, while the volume is lighter, the content per post is better and improving. Hopefully it will continue to grow, yet not become a clone of the other forum.

I would rather get one good response to a post than 50 with nothing to say.

TheSearcher said:
The "other" Corvette forum has a big following of what I call professional forum posters who must either be on welfare, independently wealthy or retired as many have averaged over 20 posts a day for years. I believe this significantly devalues the forum as the vast majority of posts are just worthless chatter. That forum's administrators have also gotten the "GOD" complex and have stopped listening to members. Not Good. Perhaps that's why you won't find a post in the last several months by 95%+ of their members.

From what I have experienced of CAC, while the volume is lighter, the content per post is better and improving. Hopefully it will continue to grow, yet not become a clone of the other forum.

I would rather get one good response to a post than 50 with nothing to say.

I'm new to both Vettes and these forums but I concur with your assessment.

Welcome to a great Corvette website.

You are correct that the volume may not be as great as other forums; however, as Tammy said, you will get solid information on this website.

You neeed not worry about getting bashed for asking a question. YOu will see that most that post on this forum are Vette lovers and want to share experiences and knowledge but not at anyone's expense.

The other point you need to know - Rob (site owner & Vette owner) doesn't tolerate bashing other forums or members!

Welcome & enjoy!:beer

I rarely search through any particular forum... I usually am browsing "today's Posts". That way I can see all the new postings from all the categories at the same time!

This is the best Corvette site on the internet. But don't tell everyone! Then it'll just get crowded like some others. All of the value and knowledge is not only in the forums. Check out some other areas of the Corvette Action Center for more very comprehensive information. Evidence of a lot of work done by Rob. :upthumbs

iteachflyin said:
Perhaps my original thread was a bit harsh. I apologize, I really didn't mean to be disrespectful towards this site or its forums. I really just wanted the kind of answer that you provided me as to the quality of this forum and overall site vs. the quantity of information on others.
I didn't interpret it that way - it was a good question!

My gut feeling is that your initial observation is correct, that Corvette Forum is indeed more active. However, you really can't compare the "viewing" numbers between sites - they are only a relative indicator of activity within the site. Some examples of things that can radically change the numbers:
  • Search Engines - When search engines are crawling a site, they are counted as "guest" users. Yahoo for example, creates hundreds of simultaneous connections when crawling a forum that is already in it's index! The User-Agent (i.e., identification; aka, UA) of the various search engines are well-known and publically available. If webmasters choose to do so, they can block specific UAs from being included in the calculation.
  • Connection Timer - Forum software packages use various criteria for determining "online" status. One of the most common is a simple timeout timer, which counts the number of seconds, minutes, hours (or whatever) since the last connection by so-and-so ip-address. Since by definition, every ip-address is globally unique, it works fairly well. The savvy webmaster can change the timeout number.
Both forums serve a useful (and different) need, and many people (such as myself) are members of both. I think the true value indicator of this site is the number of times you see links from CF to CAC as a source of technical information (hint... it happens quite frequently!).
:beer

Good point about the connection timer (or connection timeout).

If you don't click the logout button, but just close down the explorer or navigate to another site, you are still considered "logged in" for a certain period of time.

Some sites will automatically log you out after 15 or 20 minutes (like CAC does).
I have visited others (who shall remain nameless), that don't time out for hours and hours. Thus, the "users online" can be exaggerated in that case.

Tammy

Did you know that if you click on the "Forums" tab at the top of the screen, you can scroll to the bottom and see who is "logged in" to the CAC?

I think that you made a very valid point when you stated that you have received some valuable information on this forum. Isn't that one of the benefits of visiting sites related to the Corvette? It doesn't really matter that one is perceived as being visited more than another, the real importance is the fact that the site is composed of members who really care and are willing to share. I personally think that the CAC may be not as popular (if viewing numbers is criteria for popular) is because it may not be as well known. I have seen this change since I have been a member, however. I encourage others in the Vette scene to visit the site and find out for themselves.

Ron

ron said:
I think that you made a very valid point when you stated that you have received some valuable information on this forum. Isn't that one of the benefits of visiting sites related to the Corvette? It doesn't really matter that one is perceived as being visited more than another, the real importance is the fact that the site is composed of members who really care and are willing to share. I personally think that the CAC may be not as popular (if viewing numbers is criteria for popular) is because it may not be as well known. I have seen this change since I have been a member, however. I encourage others in the Vette scene to visit the site and find out for themselves.

Ron

Awwww... Ditto! Lets :grouphug: . And... don't forget the tape!

74bigblock said:
Awwww... Ditto! Lets :grouphug: . And... don't forget the tape!

OK, your persistence regarding the tape has paid off ... both of my rear tires are now full of orange neon tape ... looks like hell but pressures are holdin' !! I'll be sure to remember your tape repair trick before I go spending a whole lotta bucks on replacing a blown engine!

Hey Iteachflyin,

is this your first corvette? If so you better have the pilot's license ready when stopped by the cops:D. Guy who lives down the road from me is a highway patrol officer. After I bought my Z-06 he asked me one day if I had a pilot's license for it. Told him yep. Then I showed him by logbook and pilot's license. I was on the way to get some stick time in the Charlie 172.

I agree with everyone that has made comments. The CAC is an outstanding site with some very good members who have vast amounts of knowledge about vettes. I used to be a member of another vette forum. But everytime someone would ask a legit question they would get slammed by some of the members. I have yet to see that happen here. That is why I decided to become a supporting member. My money is well spent since several of my answered questions resulted in me saving some serious $$$.

Welcome and fly safe.

H.D.

iteachflyin said:
OK, your persistence regarding the tape has paid off ... both of my rear tires are now full of orange neon tape ... looks like hell but pressures are holdin' !! I'll be sure to remember your tape repair trick before I go spending a whole lotta bucks on replacing a blown engine!

iteachflyin and 74bigblock...

Don't know about the orange neon stuff, but you know they say Duct Tape is like the Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. Should work on a couple of tires.

I've also seen a recommendation that a tool box only truly needs 2 items in it: WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use the WD40 on it. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use the Duct Tape on it.

Maybe this will spare y'all having to buy a lot of expensive tools for nothing.

JAG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom