Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Not starting

mdevese

Corvette
2002 Spiral Grey with double dark grey stripe
Hi anyone,

My 2002 C5 has failed to start 7 times now. It will drive fine for days and then for no reason will not start. the systoms are key in turn, ignition on, all dash light work the battery is at 12.1VDC, go to engage the starter motor and NOTHING.

Could this be the immobiliser, park switch or what?

The car has bee towed twice to a Chevrolet dealer they drive it off the trailer when it went on dead.

Can someone offer me something to look for.

Thanks for reading.

Michael.:crazy

Hi All,

A bit more infor to work with. Whe it was taken to the dealers the first time they said that the battery was no good and it needed replacing. The battery was put on in August 2007, so I elected to return to get a new battery fitted under warranty. The second time the dealer said that the -ve cabe to the battery was loose and they tightened it. That was 2-19-08 since then it has been fine until now 3-5-08.

My thought are that being on the trailer the car has been bumped around and what ever is loose is now back in place. Driving has made what ever it has come out again.

My wife wants me to get rid of my Vette now but I love it and want to keep it. :BDH is this all I'm doing now?

:v

Hi All,

More to this thread. I returned to my Vette at 7:35PM after leaving it at 5:05PM and it started with no problem. I put it in my garage at 7:45PM and switched it off, so I thought will it start right now and guess what? It did not turn over.

Who know what is possibly wrong?

Thanks,

Michael. :confused

HI there,
First, check for PCM codes.
Second, torque the battery cables to 11 ft lbs at the battery.
Third, put a test light on the purple wire to the starter and see if your getting power at the starter.
Allthebest, c4c5

Hi C4/C5 Tech,

I will look at all of the things you say. It is odd that if it does not start, leaving it for 2hours it will start. I do find this odd.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll let you know what I find.

Michael.

Some starter solenoids will not work after a heat soak, when they cool down they will function. As C4C5 said, check for stored codes, torque battery cables and after torqueing make sure they do not move side to side, and check for power to the purple starter wire when the problem is active.

Hi,
Which side is the starter motor located. is it the passenger side?

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi C5 Tech,

No PCM codes!

Michael.

HI there,
Yes, passenger side on the starter.
Second, if you have no codes, then the antitheft system is NOT creating the issue.
When the antitheft sees a problem, a code will set.
Next is to check your battery terminal and the power at the PURPLE wire.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom