Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

numbers matching checking

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
Im going to purchase a car in the future and was wondering if someone could give me the correct procedure for checking to see if numbers match.

For the engine.
If I understand it correctly, you look at the body tag and compare it to the front passenger side engine pad?

For the 4 speed.
Where do you look for the numbers on a 4 speed?

Could someone give me an example of what the numbers I should expect to see on these locations?

What are other areas for checking for critical numbers correct. For me, engine and transmission would be the most important.

thanks
jim

I presume by 'numbers matching' you will be looking for a car that still has it's original engine and transmission, and not restamped or replacement parts that have been cloned to look original.

Honest answer? If you're going to pay a surcharge for an original car, hire a professional to evaluate these details. There's tons of counterfeit cars out there that will fool 99.9% of the casual observers.

...Could someone give me an example of what the numbers I should expect to see on these locations?...

Typical small block stamp pad, early:
DSC06443.jpg

Late:
wes013.jpg

Typical 4 speed stamp (side of case):
684spdstamp.jpg

Good advice from Vettehead Mikey, especially when prices are aligned with originality.

Good luck.

:)

"Numbers Matching" is a very misused statement. For example: My 72 454 does have the original block, but the carburator was a replacement. The alternator was wrong as well. The four rally wheels have been switched for 1969 wheels. All of these items have a part/application number and a date on them. You can't have a car assembled in October of 1971 with an alternator dated 1973. So many other parts are included to make a car matching numbers that you really need to know what they are or just don't care about the numbers and buy the car you like.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

By the way, a 72 454 automatic quadrajet carburator is extremely hard to find because is is a single year only application and was very expensive to obtain.

Corvette Black Book...

Has all the info regarding numbers.

Has all the info regarding numbers.

The Black Book has a lot of numbers but if you were to have your car judged by NCRS or such, that information is not enough. A more complete source is the NCRS judging manual for your specific year.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom