Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Numbers Matching

D

Don Strausburg

Can anyone explain to me what a is considered a numbers matching car. Is it by the serial number and registration plate or does it go beyond that. What is needed to advertise a numbers matching car. Thanks. :upthumbs

Let's see if this makes sense:

The term “number matching” (or “numbers matching”) is a term used in the collector car industry to describe the authenticity of collectible or investment quality cars. Number matching generally means that a particular car still contains its original major components or has major components that match exactly the major components the car had when it was new. These "major components" are not always agreed on. The appearance of a number matching car likely could not distinguished it from an original car. A site by the name "numbermatching.com" has established a standard of specifications for a common definition of "number matching" and can certify them according to their company's definition.

The car's major components are parts such as the engine, transmission, rear-axle assembly, and frame of the car. Many times these components contain dates, casting numbers, model numbers, VIN numbers, stamped numbers, or codes that can match the original components that were on the car when it was new. In some cases intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, body panels, and carburettors could also be considered major components.

The numbers or casting dates on the major components of a car must be present and fall in a particular order. For example, an engine’s assembly date must come before the build date of the car, and the casting dates must come before the assembly date of the engine because an engine assembly date (the date the engine was assembled, usually at a different location) could not be after the assembly date of the whole car. Engines are assembled prior to being installed in the car at the factory. Therefore, the assembly date of the car would have to be after the assembly date of the engine. Casting dates (the dates formed in the metal of a component at the foundry) could not be after the assembly date of the engine. And casting dates would need to be well in advance of the assembly date of the engine. Numbers and dates help track an accurate history of how a car was built and when and where the car and the parts used to create the car were made.

If a car has number matching major components it helps define how collectible a car is. Number matching cars typically will have a much greater value than non-number matching cars.

matching numbers

Wow I always thought it meant that the front license plate matched the back one.:L

Good explaination Rick. I would add that just because a component has the correct number does not guarantee that it is original to that car or that the number hasn't been restamped.

Tom

Tom,

thanks for the added clarification

Thanks for the info. It clears up alot of questions pertaining to this subject.:)

wow, a really clear explanation

both of my cars were advertised as "numbers matching" ;LOL...they were also advertised as "correct mileage";LOL;LOL

just be REAL careful if you fall in love with a #match car......buyer beware

Wow I always thought it meant that the front license plate matched the back one.:L

What about us that live is states where we only have a back plate? Does that mean I no longer have a matching numbers car? ;LOL

numbers matching

What about us that live is states where we only have a back plate? Does that mean I no longer have a matching numbers car? ;LOL

No your 100 percent correct:D
Do you have any pictures of your interior, my is saddle, but looks like
three different shades.
Thanks. Ted:)

That being said what is the right thing to do when restoring your car? Replace incorrect casting numbers and or dates or let them be........
This I think is the real dilema a lot of us have. I do not mean to insult anyone here (the following comments do not reflect anyone or anything from this site) but it is quite common around Corvette circles that we are led into believing that if you do not have a numbers matching or numbers correct car you don't have squat. The corvette industry and collector population has and continues to project that sentiment. I am active in other make clubs and restorations and when ever I bring up Corvette's I get the look, and know exactly what it is referring to. Seems to be a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation. I have a 64 with the wrong engine and it needs to be redone. I figure if I am going to do it I should do it right and get the correct date code engine components for the car. But then will someone come along and accuse me of making a counterfit?????? So is there a true definition of numbers matching or numbers correct that distinguishes between the two?
Thanks, Jeff

But then will someone come along and accuse me of making a counterfit??????

If the block is not original, but the stamping numbers are consistent with the manufacture of the car (as explained by c5vetter), and the components are what the car was built with, then it is not a "counterfeit". That is what a restoration often requires- a hunt for correct, but not original parts. By the standard quoted above, only "survivors" would meet their criteria.

If you were to take a car that came with a small block engine and installed a big block, then tried to present it as an original big block, then it would be considered counterfeit. Just my $0.02

Personally, I have absolutely no desire to have a correct, numbers matching car. I view my Corvette as a driver, not an investment. I say it is my car and I will do what I want with it. :thumb

No your 100 percent correct:D
Do you have any pictures of your interior, my is saddle, but looks like
three different shades.
Thanks. Ted:)
Ted,
Some interior shots, hope they might help....if you need something specific, let me know and I'll take a picture and post.
RK

Thanks, Just what I needed

Ted,
Some interior shots, hope they might help....if you need something specific, let me know and I'll take a picture and post.
RK

Thanks, for the pictures, nice car.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom