Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OEM cloth seat replacements

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
I have original cloth seats in my '81 and I'm starting to see a small wear hole forming on the bottom left bolster of the driver's seat. Does anyone know who might sell original cloth seat replacement covers? I am entertaining the idea of replacing with leather and keeping the cloth seats in storage, but I don't want to pull them off the foam. What other pieces parts would I need to consider buying besides foam and leather covers if I were to swap starting out with only the seat bottoms and backs? In case you're wondering what cloth seats look like, I posted a link to an interior picture. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/subvette/vetteint.jpg

Mike :pat

A couple of years ago I did something similar by just purchasing "pre-mounted" seat cushions from Al Knoch Interiors for one of my 82's. Not cheap, but all I had to do was pop out the old and pop in the new cushions. I think they run about $750.

As for the hole I had in the same spot, a local auto upholstery shop replaced just the one section for $75 and it matched.

:w
Guy

i would also suggest you consider wilcox for pre mounted seats. they are most competative pricewise and they supply seating products made by corvette america. for what it's worth, my opinion is that al knoch and corvette america products are the only ones to consider. they are of the highest quality and are truest replacements.

steve

Granted it's been a few years, but I tried Corvette America and I don't think the foam was "pre-crushed" since they were hard as a rock. Returned and went with Al Knoch. I hope CA has changed since then.

Guy

Granted it's been a few years, but I tried Corvette America and I don't think the foam was "pre-crushed" since they were hard as a rock. Returned and went with Al Knoch. I hope CA has changed since then.
Guy
Mine are/were hard as a rock. But I believe that's because they use the 'foam' that is created by mixing the two chemicals. In other words, you know how if you get big stuff, such as electronics that seems to have custom-fitted hard foam inserts/liners? That's typically all created from a gun that mixes the two chemicals and then sprays it over the components. It expands and hardens as it cures and that's how they get the super-tight fit. This is what I'm thinking they did with my seats, as it was the same material as when I used to work in a warehouse using the packing method I just mentioned. It does eventually wear in, but it takes a good amount of seat time! I don't know that my passenger seat will ever get broken in! :L It's definitely not like the OEM sponge-like foam pads.

i would also suggest you consider wilcox for pre mounted seats. they are most competative pricewise and they supply seating products made by corvette america. for what it's worth, my opinion is that al knoch and corvette america products are the only ones to consider. they are of the highest quality and are truest replacements.

steve
FWIW, Willcox's seats ARE from Corvette America - mine were leather/vinyl mounted on new foam, $549 delivered, last year.

Craig

Thanks for all the inputs. I found in the new Year One corvette catalog that they carry cloth seat replacements. They cost the same as leather and can be purchased premounted on new foam. I believe they are only available in the 4" bolster size. I noticed something funny about the cloth interiors they offered. I have cloth seats and vinyl doors skins (carpeted on the bottom). Year One offers cloth or vinyl door skins. This leads me to question the originality of my door skins. Does anyone know if the 29C interior included cloth door skins from the factory? I have not seen any other cloth interior vettes to compare.

Mike :w

Do you realize you're responding to a thread that went dormant 5-1/2 years ago?
It was also his first post, so I'm gonna guess that he stumbled upon this thread while searching the site and felt like commenting on it, not realizing the age of it. Nonetheless...if we didn't want old threads available, they wouldn't be! :)

Welcome to the site, Randy! Be sure to stop over in to the New User Introduction forum and introduce yourself!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom