Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

off center steering wheel???????????

S

SARGE81

Hi everyone!
I have a small problem with my steering wheel being off center.
The wheel is off the the right by about 3"in.

Heres what I did to the car yesterday:
Installed a remanufactured steering box (yes I did find center between lock to lock)

Installed a rebuilt steering control valve (I installed it the same amount of turns as the old one came off)

I lined the "rag" joint splines up with the steering box.( I think that this part is "keyed" so as not to get it out of alignment)

Anyone have an idea of how I can correct this problem? It's very annoying driving down the road and looking at a crooked steering wheel. Thanks in advance for any help.
:hb SARGE

Drive the car in a straight line a short distance, then check the mark on the wormshaft. The mark should be straight up at 12:00 position. The mark is a scribe mark at the end of the shaft. If it is not straight up you need to turn both tie rod sleeves in the same direction the same amount of turns to bring the mark straight up when driven in a straight line. This will center the steering high point. If the wheel is still off you need to remove the wheel and re-position it to be straight. :)

Thanks Big Fish,
I will try that this week. The scribe mark on the worm gear shaft....does that line up with flat spot (alignment notch) for the "rag"joint? Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how I make out with this during the week.
Sarge :w

If the shaft does not have a scribe mark, use the flat spot instead, same procedure as the scribe mark. Good luck!

Thanks Big!
I'll be readjusting things Wednesday. Sarge

Sarge81,

Had the same problem and the very procedure that Bigfish gave you is the fix. Good luck

Trent81

Thanks Trent81,
I'm hoping to get that straightened out this week. We got a little snow flurries here in Buffalo. So hopefully it will warm up this week. Corvettes and slick surfaces don't mix.
:D Sarge

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom