Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Off Road Exhaust

• Thread starter Vette66AirCoupe
  • Start date
V

Vette66AirCoupe

I've seen off road exhaust mentioned as an option in a lot of old specs but I don't have a clue what that means. What did you get when you opted for off road exhaust? :confused

Edited to allow for better information.

The only thing better than getting a prompt response is getting one I understand that includes a picture! Thanks! :beer

I have this Mid America chambered system on my 64. I have my Hookers going straight into this system and it is louder than any sidepipes I have ever heard. I do get the attention of all of my neighbors when I fire her up.

Lucy64 said:
I have this Mid America chambered system on my 64. I have my Hookers going straight into this system and it is louder than any sidepipes I have ever heard. I do get the attention of all of my neighbors when I fire her up.

Do you have less cabin noise as the result of the fact that they terminate at the rear of the car?

Yes, at least with it exiting in the rear it is not right in you ear. But with the rear exit I have had friends following me that commented how loud it is when I jump on it. It also may be a bit louder because of the headers and not stock manifolds.

Vette66AirCoupe said:
I've seen off road exhaust mentioned as an option in a lot of old specs but I don't have a clue what that means. What did you get when you opted for off road exhaust? :confused

I purchased a set of aluminum coated exhaust from Allen's for my 63 project. The exhaust are 2 1/2" and are welded like the originals. On the mufflers in stencil are the words off road . I have been going to call Allen's to to get information on the difference between what I received and standard exhaust. In todays world it might be just the stencil.

Ray
DSC00697.JPG

To the best of my recollection, the off road exhausts are identical in outward appearance to the "regular" under the car exhaust.

The only difference is that the muffler is less restrictive, having 3 internal baffles instead of 5 as I recall.

I've never seen original chambered pipes. Those are some aftermarket creation. :) Chuck

Chuck is 100% correct. The original off road option was for the 3 baffle mufflers instead of the quieter stockers. The Off Road mufflers have a nice sound without being obnoxious.

The only chambered pipe application on midyear vettes was the side exhausts.

The General did offer a chambered under car exhaust from the factory, but only on the '68 and '69 Camaro

Take care,
Brian

I suggested John Hinckley get involved because in the back of my mind I think I recall GM installing a chambered style under car exhaust... but on the early Z28 Camaro?

Chuck is correct, the original RPO N-11 Corvette exhaust was nearly identical to original standard exhaust system except for 2 fewer baffles in the muffler.

I spent stupid money for an original N-11 system for my yellow coupe. Once I heard it on the car I became convinced It was a good investment. There is no sound today that can mimic the sound of an original N-11 system.

Purchased a set of N11 from GM in the early 90s for my previous car,a 66
390 hp roadster.I found them to be quieter than hoped for at idle and low
speeds,this may have been due to the mild character of the 390 hp engine.
At higher RPM or on acceleration they were much louder and sounded great.
There is a supposed set of reproduction set on my 435 and i will say things
are definitely busier at the rear.

435er

The original factory N-11 Off-Road mufflers had a wonderful, authoritative sound; unfortunately, the reproduction N-11 mufflers don't have the same sound, as their internal construction is completely different than the originals. Nobody makes a duplicate of the originals - too much tooling expense, not enough market to justify it.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom