Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oh Sh.......bugger!

AussieCorvetteNut

Corvette
1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
Ok, I started the long list of jobs on the 84....aka BLUE

i decided to pull the radiator out after running a flush through it and it opens up the front so I can get to the water pump, front timing cover seal and power steering pump.

i went to loosen the O/D trans cooler lines from the radiator and grit my teeth, as some bubba gump had used a pair of vice grips to undo the cooler line nut...:mad

i disconnected it and expected to see transmission fluid drip out...nup gear oil...

Looks like it's pulling the gearbox out earlier than I wanted.
Gear oil in the cooler lines I reckon means that the O/D unit is cactus.
i am just glad I managed to pick up a second 4+3 gearbox from a bloke in Sydney...I also have the rebuild kits.

so the lesson today is to belt those people who use vice grips on trans and brake lines instead of using pipe spanners with their own vice grips :thumb

Looks like the radiator needs to be looked at before it goes back in and the more I dig to get to the water pump and timing cover, the more I see the steering rack (right hand drive), so I may have to sweet talk the wife into letting me part with $420 to rebuild the rack.
it will go with the new pump and lines anyway.

i thought the list would get smaller, nup clutch to do as well

cheers

Tony

Last edited:
All the reasons why when my clutch gave out on my 84, I ditched the Doug Nash and TRANSplanted
a ZF-6 instead. Transformed the car.

Did you need to do any modifaications?

All the reasons why when my clutch gave out on my 84, I ditched the Doug Nash and TRANSplanted
a ZF-6 instead. Transformed the car.

Hi xfirez51,

Did you do any modifications for this transplant?

Any other parts used, what bellhousing, clutch slave etc...I have come across a new ZF-6 on eBay here in Australia for $2250.00 AUD.

Might be an option after all.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Tony

Hi xfirez51,

Did you do any modifications for this transplant?

Any other parts used, what bellhousing, clutch slave etc...I have come across a new ZF-6 on eBay here in Australia for $2250.00 AUD.

Might be an option after all.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

When I did this, I had to modify the trans tunnel because of how the 4+3 shifter is mounted, which sucks IMO. So I grafted part of a 90 tunnel since the ZF-6 has an internal rail setup.
I also added a Fidanza Aluminum FW, ZF-6 Bell Housing and LT-1 clutch and pressure plate. Also the C beam is shorter since the ZF is a longer trans. I installed a short throw Hurst shifter prior to inserting the trans into the chassis. Make certain that the ZF is not from a ZR-1, which has a longer input shaft and uses a deeper bellhousing. Its a bit of work, but it made the car soooooo much more fun to drive. The ZF weighs more but it also seemed to produce a lower center of gravity and one which distributed the vehicle weight more evenly between the axles.

Transtunnel001.jpgFidanza installed001.jpgTranstunnel002.jpgTranstunnel003.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 77
Ok, I started the long list of jobs on the 84....aka BLUE

i decided to pull the radiator out after running a flush through it and it opens up the front so I can get to the water pump, front timing cover seal and power steering pump.

i went to loosen the O/D trans cooler lines from the radiator and grit my teeth, as some bubba gump had used a pair of vice grips to undo the cooler line nut...:mad

i disconnected it and expected to see transmission fluid drip out...nup gear oil...

Looks like it's pulling the gearbox out earlier than I wanted.
Gear oil in the cooler lines I reckon means that the O/D unit is cactus.
i am just glad I managed to pick up a second 4+3 gearbox from a bloke in Sydney...I also have the rebuild kits.

so the lesson today is to belt those people who use vice grips on trans and brake lines instead of using pipe spanners with their own vice grips :thumb

Looks like the radiator needs to be looked at before it goes back in and the more I dig to get to the water pump and timing cover, the more I see the steering rack (right hand drive), so I may have to sweet talk the wife into letting me part with $420 to rebuild the rack.
it will go with the new pump and lines anyway.

i thought the list would get smaller, nup clutch to do as well

cheers

Tony

Tony
it would not surprise me if some nitwit did put gear oil in there, but I have had lot of experience with the 4+3 OD and have rebuilt many. with that said these ODs cook ATF to the point of stinking like Gear box oil. So I am prone to say you don't have a OD full of gear oil but a very toasted trans. if you take the pan off you will find the magnet stuck to the bottom of the pan about a 1/4" thick with a Graphite like goo.

do the rebuild or the conversion your choice, me I'm a stock junky, but Don't fault those who can tastefully and properly convert.

Last edited:
Tony
it would not surprise me if some nitwit did put gear oil in there, but I have had lot of experience with the 4+3 OD and have rebuilt many. with that said these ODs cook ATF to the point of stinking like Gear box oil. So I am prone to say you don't have a OD full of gear oil but a very toasted trans. if you take the pan off you will find the magnet stuck to the bottom of the pan about a 1/4" thick with a Graphite like goo.

do the rebuild or the conversion your choice, me I'm a stock junky, but Don't fault those who can tastefully and properly convert.

Hi Forrest,

Yeah don't get me wrong, I would much rather leave the 4+3 in, but if I have electrical gremlins, spending the dollars on my 4+3 or the spare 4+3 I have, then could be cash down the drain.
I agree that if I am going to convert, it must be a top job with well engineered components.

I am waiting for my trans jack to arrive, so while she is on the hoist, I will pull the pan off and check the graphite sludge out.

I know that I did have the overdrive come on the dash when I was testing the circuit, I replaced the relay and wired t in and couldn't get the light to come back on...not real sure on the circuit.
If I could guarantee the circuits and ball switches were working, I would go ahead and rebuild the DNE. I have the rebuild kits.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Forrest,

Yeah don't get me wrong, I would much rather leave the 4+3 in, but if I have electrical gremlins, spending the dollars on my 4+3 or the spare 4+3 I have, then could be cash down the drain.
I agree that if I am going to convert, it must be a top job with well engineered components.

I am waiting for my trans jack to arrive, so while she is on the hoist, I will pull the pan off and check the graphite sludge out.

I know that I did have the overdrive come on the dash when I was testing the circuit, I replaced the relay and wired t in and couldn't get the light to come back on...not real sure on the circuit.
If I could guarantee the circuits and ball switches were working, I would go ahead and rebuild the DNE. I have the rebuild kits.

Cheers

Tony

Like I said I totally get why people do the conversion, the ZF is a great Transmission and thinking about it after reading what lengths X Fire Z51 went to get it rite it's not a bad project. If it comes together properly you will have a very cool Franken-Vette
and you surly will have a 1 of 1 a six Speed Right hand drive 84 Vette.

Like I said I totally get why people do the conversion, the ZF is a great Transmission and thinking about it after reading what lengths X Fire Z51 went to get it rite it's not a bad project. If it comes together properly you will have a very cool Franken-Vette
and you surly will have a 1 of 1 a six Speed Right hand drive 84 Vette.

If not for the trans tunnel requiring some fabrication and modification, the ZF is a very straightforward upgrade since it was an OEM trans starting in 90(?). So everything else is just stock.

If not for the trans tunnel requiring some fabrication and modification, the ZF is a very straightforward upgrade since it was an OEM trans starting in 90(?). So everything else is just stock.

Exactly the only PITA is what you did for the tunnel, which is the rite thing to do modify a early C-4 tunnel to a later one after that it's off the shelf. now being in the land down under can he get the rite donor parts with out costing too much

Well Done thinking out of the box

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom