Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil changes

Factory fill and the best choice ?

I've used Mobil-1 5W/30 ever since I bought her, and since I don't drive more than 5 thousand miles a year, I only change the oil & filter once a year. But I know many Corvette owners who have hit the 100.000, 200.000 and 300.000 miles on their Corvettes and they all have done the same thing, Change the oil and filter every 7 thousand miles. They all used Mobil-1 5W/30 and a good filter like a K&N or a Mobil-1 filter or any really good filter. :w

Best to use is Mobil 1 10W30. The upgrade from a 5W to a 10W will do much for the engine's durability and oil pressure in hot weather. Buy it by the case at Costco for a good price.

If you want to upgrade to a premium, ester-based synthetic, Red Line 10W30 is the way to go. You can extend the drain interval to 150% of oil life or 15,000 miles with Red Line.

If you trust the oil life monitor, I'd change the filter every 50% of life and the oil at 100%. If you prefer to go by mileage, I'd change it every 10,000 miles with a filter every 5,000. The best oil filters on the market right now are the Mobil 1 and the K&N.

^
|
|

What Hib said!

'6 Shooter"...if you actually knew what various warranty requirements were, you'd know that in most cases, the use of 10W30 in lieu of 5W30 is allowed under the GM warranty that typically covers Corvette engines.

There are even cases were 10W30 and not 5W30 was the recommended oil...the 90-92 LT5s are one example.

When I say "warranty requirements" I don't mean the brief discussions one finds in Owners' Manuals or "warranty bookets". I mean the detailed discussion of engine oils what is in every Factory Service Manual.

Anyone who drives their car hard in hot weather should be using 10W30. Anyone who races or runs track day events should be using 10W30. Lastly, 10W30 has less Vi improvers and more substances which lubricate than does 5W30. The only engines which really need a 5W are those where spend a lot of time operating in cold weather.

I submit that you're better off sticking to what you do most of the time: lifting content off other web sites and posting it here or posting the links here....rather than getting involved with technical discussions about engine oil.

I submit that you're better off sticking to what you do most of the time: lifting content off other web sites and posting it here or posting the links here....rather than getting involved with technical discussions about engine oil.

......this must be some banter between old friends....I'm thinking.......thought I'd stumbled onto an old CF post.......

I'm not pals with "6 Shooter".
While I am a member of the CF, I am I seldom active there.

I believe, if the discussion is about oil and folks are giving advice, they should be reasonably well-versed on the subject before offering that advice. If they offer advice on a subject about which they have little or no knowledge, the result is, often, incorrect information.

Just to restate....while the Service Manuals for most Corvettes built after the late-70s recommend 5W30, in many cases those same FSMs also allow use of 10W30 and even recommend it in some cases.

With to respect to Corvettes, there rarely is a blanket warranty requirement to use only 5W30.

There is nothing sacred about Mobil 1. Many synthetics meet the same GM spec as Mobil1. I've used Pennsoil Platinum since it came out in all my cars. Is it better than Mobil? It sure doesn't appear to be any worse. I never used Mobil conventional oil, but I've used Penns since the 60s without oil issues.

There is nothing sacred about Mobil 1. Many synthetics meet the same GM spec as Mobil1. I've used Pennsoil Platinum since it came out in all my cars. Is it better than Mobil? It sure doesn't appear to be any worse. I never used Mobil conventional oil, but I've used Penns since the 60s without oil issues.

The issue of this thread really wasn't the brand of oil, but its viscosity.

That said, "Catbert" is correct in that there are a number of oil bands which have products, of several different viscosity ranges, which meet the various GM specs which have been required for warranty purposes in different model years going back to 1992.

Right now I'm on a short road trip, but when I return to my office, where I have FSM from 1982-2010, I'll check each year and see how many allow a 10W30 in addition to recommending 5W30.

NOPE - Check out his/hib's profile, he has no friends! :w

Oh, please, spare me....
I'm surprised that Rob Loszewski, who owns the CAC, allows clowns like "6 Shooter" to remain on the membership rolls. I guess he's a necessary evil if we're going to have freedom of speech and the Internet.

I don't have any "friends" because I don't have time to fool with the "like" or "friends" process. When the CAC started, there wasn't "like" or "friends" features. I know many people who cater to the social networking thing enjoy the "liking" and making "friends" processes, however, I just don't have the time nor the inclination to get into that.

From time to time, I get querys from CACers who want to be "friends" but I've never taken the time to learn how the "friends" feature of the site works much less answer those frendship queries. Heck, I hardly get time to answer all the PMs that come in. Sometimes I go to that page and find there's 2 or 3 of them I've not answered.

I sometimes wish I had a lot more time to devote to the CAC but I don't.

Now boys....can't we all just get along.......I came over here to learn more about my C5......so far I like what I see. I tried hanging out on CF but what a bunch of jerks......I come from a great Vette forum and still hang out there most of the time but I am looking for C5 knowledge and was told this is where I can get it.......sooooo quiturbitchin and lets get to work....:D

What To Use?

I figure, if it's good enough for the guys who designed my engine and good enough for GM to recommend, then it's good enough for me.

However, any good quality oil (if your car runs that) or good synthetic should be alright.

Change the oil filter at the same time. After all, if you're changing the oil, why leave a quart of dirty oil in there because oil filters aren't that expensive.

In fact, changing your oil/filter regularly is cheap compared to an engine rebuild and will make a huge difference in the longevity of your engine's life span.

Oh, please, spare me....
I'm surprised that Rob Loszewski, who owns the CAC, allows clowns like "6 Shooter" to remain on the membership rolls. I guess he's a necessary evil if we're going to have freedom of speech and the Internet.

I don't have any "friends" because I don't have time to fool with the "like" or "friends" process. When the CAC started, there wasn't "like" or "friends" features. I know many people who cater to the social networking thing enjoy the "liking" and making "friends" processes, however, I just don't have the time nor the inclination to get into that.

From time to time, I get querys from CACers who want to be "friends" but I've never taken the time to learn how the "friends" feature of the site works much less answer those frendship queries. Heck, I hardly get time to answer all the PMs that come in. Sometimes I go to that page and find there's 2 or 3 of them I've not answered.

I sometimes wish I had a lot more time to devote to the CAC but I don't.

Man with only 10 posts you sure start trouble fast. Why are you here? Did you get kicked off other forums? You need to chill and take a Zoloft.

10 post? He's got well over 5000 but whatever.:confused

Whoops, sorry. But still why are people so argumentative? This forum is supposed to be fun, and helpful. Why can't subjects be discussed in a civil matter. :beer

Though disagreements sometimes pop up, most discussions here are civil and on topic, with a tremendous amount of information shared. That's what sets the CAC apart from most other sites. :thumb

I left this thread in the original location because it was being actively discussed and good info was being shared with the O.P. But I believe it's time to move it to a more suitable forum, namely the C5 General Forum.

Hang on gents!
:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom