Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Oil drain plugs??

1FASVET

Corvette
2007 Z06 Atomic Orange
As I changed my oil on my 2007 Z I noticed like graphite all around the magnets, Is this normal. The dealer changed it until this time and was never told of and problems. We have only 11,000 miles and I drive like GM built it, A street legal race car. William Love put it together and boy does it fly. Still Maintains about 45 lbs oil pressure at idle. Nothing but Mobile 1. What ya think Folks???? :w

That's not graphite. That's a "paste" of very fine ferrous metal debris. It comes from anything in the engine that's iron or steel. It's hard to say conclusively without both seeing the evidence and having an spectrographic oil analysis if there's a problem or not.

I'd cut the oil filter apart and see what's inside. If you find more paste or larger metal particles or filings, that points to a problem.

If you've already discarded the old filter, I'd run the car another 2000 miles then drain the oil again and look at the drain plugs. Also, you might consider an oil analysis.

Lastly, if you run the car hard, you need to be using Mobil 1 10W30 not 5W30.

My 2007 Z collected some of the gunk described, and it was definitely ferrous. I assume you have a magnetic plug, which is why it adheres to the plug. If that's the case, it's just a magnet doing the job it was designed to do. I think mine started to collect less at 15,000 plus miles.

As I changed my oil on my 2007 Z I noticed like graphite all around the magnets, Is this normal. The dealer changed it until this time and was never told of and problems. We have only 11,000 miles and I drive like GM built it, A street legal race car. William Love put it together and boy does it fly. Still Maintains about 45 lbs oil pressure at idle. Nothing but Mobile 1. What ya think Folks???? :w

With out a picture it is tough to say for sure.

Your description though sounds normal, I see it all the time.:)

Drain Plugs

:wThanks Guys, The baby is now hibernating for winter, When we wake her up I will keep a close eye on it, appreciated the input.

Did both plugs look like this?
NORTYSOILCHG03JUL2007006.jpg
Here's a pic of both cleaned and still loaded plugs. This engine has 51,XXX miles on it, and the oil change intervals are 20% oil life, give or take.
17OCT2011005.jpg

Oil drain plugs

Yes this what it looks like on both plugs. A very fine gray paste stuff.

100% normal, mine is about the same every oc. Just clean it off w/ a rag.

I forgot to come back to this thread for follow-up.

The other posters are correct to a certain extent that a small amount of the paste seems normal, but the emphasis is on the word "small". Also the "grittiness" of the paste is an issue.

I'd say if there a lot of that glop on the end of the plug or it has more than a wheel bearing grease feel to it, you ought to check further.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom