Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Filters...latest intel

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
I ran out of oil filters this week and, since it had been a number of years since I bought any, I did a little research.

The market has changed drastically since the last time I did this.

Seems there are few good options for LT5 oil filters these days.

The good old ACDelco PF930C?
No longer made by GM. Now made by Champion Labs, which makes filters for many vendors. GM choose to use Champion's low-line filter design, called "Ecore" by Champion Labs. Looking at some oil filter test data I found at Russ Kinze's famed oil filter site, it's obvious to me that any of Champion's "Ecore" filters are junk. Exec. Summary: don't by ACD filters for LT5s:(

The Bosch oil filter used to be one of Champion Labs' really good filters, known as the "Performance" line, but it's performance is now degraded due to a change in suppliers. Previously, I recommended and used the Bosch, but no more.

The Mobil 1 and the K&N oil fitlers are still made by Champion Labs and still use that company's high performance design. Currently I use the Mobil 1 #207. I get 'em in 2-packs from Amazon.com.:thumb

Those are the only two filters I'd consider having performance which compliment the LT5 engine's performance and the 2G ZR-1 community's need for the utmost in oil filtering.

What if you either can't get the M1 or the K&N or are too cheap to pay the 12 to 15 bucks each they cost?

A few filters are acceptable (ie: one of these is better than not changing your filter) for use on an LT5 are; Wix (also makes CarQuests filters), Purolater, Baldwin/Hastings, Bosch (now made by Purolator)

Most of the others are junk including the aforementioned ACDelco, Fram, Quaker State, STP, and many private label filters you find at a mass marketer....AutoZone, Walmart, O'Riley, Pep Boys, etc.

Hib,
What about the AC PF454 that I use in my L98 and AC PF47E I use in my son's Equinox. Are these in the "junk" class as well? The PF47E feels lighter than the old discontinued PF47. Both run dino oil with no extended oil change intervals. Maybe I better upgrade to Purolators. :rotfl

The filters sold by NAPA under their name used to be made by Mcgard and were of very high quality. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

I use K&N on the Vette and Equinox and Mobil 1 for the SSR (No clearance for the bottom nut on the K&N). The ACs went downhill about 4 years ago. I consider the filter to be important, cuz' I use the Oil Life Monitor, and sometimes put a lot of miles on the cars before I hit 25% life remaining.

Seems like both AC and Delco are now nothing more marketing brands for everything from floorjacks to D cells batteries - both made in China.

All NAPA filters here, oil/air :dance

Bud

Hib,
What about the AC PF454 that I use in my L98 and AC PF47E I use in my son's Equinox. Are these in the "junk" class as well? The PF47E feels lighter than the old discontinued PF47. Both run dino oil with no extended oil change intervals. Maybe I better upgrade to Purolators. :rotfl

Starting about 2008, ACD has sourced its filters from Champion labs and the filter they buy is the inferior "Ecore" design.

The filters sold by NAPA under their name used to be made by Mcgard and were of very high quality. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

To my knowlege, there is no filter manufacturer named "Mcgard". A Google search "Mcgard oil filter" came up with nothign. NAPA filters are made by Wix, which is part of the Dana Corp. That goes back to at least 1999 and likely much farther than that.

Hib

:wExcellent info/report.
Last week I bought a Mobil 1 filter instead of the (once good??) AC Delco. After reading your report, I am glad I made the change.
The #107 I got says (proudly) "made in USA".

In today's market, I would not use any filter with a poor reputation as you described, and I would not use any from China.

IMHO -typically (most) items from China are of ok quality, but when pushed, they fall apart.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom