Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Leak

mgdim

Freaking out. Just pulled my 05 daily driver out of the garage and there is a sizable puddle of oil on the floor! My wife casually mentioned it was there the day before as well. 66k miles and now I am sweating. Any guesses as to what it is? Rear main seal?

what color is the puddle did you recently have the oil changed I would check the drain plug and oil filter for tightness before getting all henny penny:W about it rear main seals are not all that common these days ;) Steve

Emergency!

Just started the car and let it run for 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes it started making loud grinding noises and smoke came from the front of the engine. Noticed for the first time that the big accessory belt is only half on the main center pulley. Is this right?

Smoke and grinding are bad.

What do you mean by 1/2 off the center pulley?

Also, unless a belt has moved and worn through a hose it is unlikely related to any puddles under the car.

Check the level of all fluids and see which one(s) are low. It could be oil, power steering, or brake fluid. They all look kind of similar when puddled on the floor of a garage.

If you did have an oil leak and it spilled on the exhaust pipes that would explain the smoke.

I definitely wouldn't start it until you have more information.

Good Luck!!!

Just checked again. The crank pulley apparently has separate sections, including the outside ring that the belts ride on. The two outside rings have apparently separated from the center and have been pushed back against the front of the engine. If you look at the larger belt, the front of the belt is off the pulley and the back half is on becasue the pulley has moved back a couple inches. The back of the pulley is rubbing/grinding against whatever is in the front of the engine. Looks like either the timing chain cover or the water pump. The grinding doesn't start until the engine warms up and then is starts to drip oil and sparks start dropping to the floor.

Sounds like you need to get it hauled (on a flatbed) to an appropriate repair facility pronto. I would not drive it in that condition.

Sounds like you wore through the timing cover.
Don't start the car.
Have it towed.
Hopefully you don't need a new block.
Good luck!!!

Just checked again. The crank pulley apparently has separate sections, including the outside ring that the belts ride on. The two outside rings have apparently separated from the center and have been pushed back against the front of the engine. If you look at the larger belt, the front of the belt is off the pulley and the back half is on becasue the pulley has moved back a couple inches. The back of the pulley is rubbing/grinding against whatever is in the front of the engine. Looks like either the timing chain cover or the water pump. The grinding doesn't start until the engine warms up and then is starts to drip oil and sparks start dropping to the floor.
Yeah,I think that is kinda common with the c6's!!:thumb Ghost had to take his 08 in last week because the balancer was getting ready to come apart!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom