Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Leak

oil leak

Mine had an oil leak when i bought it (5 wks ago), part of the deal was to do some work on it, oil leak being one. The dealer cleaned the engine and added dye to the oil. I drove it for two weeks and took it back in. It was leaking from the front of the oil pan, and the front of the engine, showed up great with the dye and a black light. It's still at dealer because I wanted all the seals that they replaced to set good before bring it home. I like to do all the work on my cars, so I know exactly what has been done to them and how it has been done but those front seals look like a bear to replace on a 96. Technology has killed the shade tree mechanics ability to work on vehicles....

still not home

It has been 7 days and still no vette. seems the dealer cannot get the front crank seal to do it's job and seal. Havent investigated it but was told that this is the bear of all LT4's. the car has 70,000 on it and i want an oilless driveway. That extended warrenty is sure coming in as a good idea now.

65.00 (per hour) X 5 HRS. per day (taking in lunch and BS time) X 5 days (they dont work weekends)=1,625.00

Alot of money for a few drops of oil......

Maybe the crank itself has a groove worn into it by the bad seal.
If that's the case , they need to install a small sleeve over the grooved section.

I remember back when I had Muscle cars running the older chevy engines that this would happen. Matter fo fact the FelPro seal kits would come with a metal sleeve in case it was needed.

traded in avalanche

I traded in my 2002 truck on it and a minivan, we have so much fun with the 74 that another has to be twice as fun. They agreed to fix a few things on it as part of the deal, so how ever long it takes and what ever bill they run up, it's thier problem. I got screwed on the rotors.

got car back

I got the car back on monday, 16 days at dealer for oil leak. Tech came in on saturday to work on it. So far no oil leaks that I can see. Did have to replace crank sensor (58.00). SO glad to have it home. Spent yesterday at lunch putting new rotors and brake pads on the front, can't believe people pay to have this done, it was so smooth.

:beer Good luck with her.

I just buttoned up the engine after my Hot Cam install. My observations were slight grooving in harmonic balancer hub (65K) but not too bad. O-ring seal in crank sensor unit was kaput, needed replacing badly.

Should one need to replace the oil pan gasket, it is not necessary to lift from the top. Simply loosen motor mounts to the last three full threads, jack up transmission with floor jack using a piece of wood on the jack. Have someone advise when nuts on mounts tighten against chassis. Remove starter, oil filter and mount, oil pan SENSOR! then oil pan. One can then R&R o-ring in crank position sensor. Wipe oil pan and block with acetone (not alcohol) and smear RTV in corners, replace gasket with new and torque down oil pan (don't forget metal reinforcing straps). etc..etc...

(easy to do job)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom