Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OIL LEAKS

BOONE93

Corvette
1993 WHITE COUPE
I HAVE A 93 LT1 THAT HAS A FEW SMALL OIL LEAKS . MY MECHANIC AND I CAN NOT FIND THE SOURCE. I AM USING MOBIL 1 5-W-30. THE PERSON I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM SAID IT STARTED AFTER THE LAST OIL CHANGE . AT THAT TIME HE SWITCH TO MOBIL 1. HE ONLY CHANGED THE OIL ONCE SINCE HE ONLY HAD THE CAR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AND A 1000K BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. HE DID NOT KNOW WHAT OIL THE PREVIOUS OWNER USED. THE CAR RUNS PERFECT AND I DO NOT RUN IT HARD BUT I DO NOT LIKE THE NAGGING LEAKS. SHOULD I GO TO A HEAVIER OIL? I HAVE NOT DROVE THE CAR SINCE NOVEMBER AND I LOOKED UNDER IT TODAY 1/28/07 AND THERE WERE A FEW SMALL DROPS. ANY ADVICE? THANKS

Could be one of the following: 1. intake manifold leak 2. head gaskets 3. oil pan gasket 4. oil pressure sending unit, etc..
Best to be proactive. Get it taken care of as soon as possible. Stick with the recommended Mobil 1 and weight-- or Royal Purple. :w

I HAVE FOUND A HEAVIER, NON SYNTHETIC OIL IS LESS LIKELY TO LEAK

I HAVE FOUND A HEAVIER, NON SYNTHETIC OIL IS LESS LIKELY TO LEAK

Did you make the switch? Did it fix the problem?

From what I've read, the intake manifold gasket is a pretty common leak. The oil pan gasket is pretty common on cars with age as well. The oil pan gasket leak should be pretty easy and obvious to look for as is the oil pressure sending unit.

a leak is a leak!

i just got done fixing oil leak on my 93 LT-1. first and formost check out oil sending unit at back of motor it could save you a lot of headaches. anyway i was not so lucky , i had to pull intake and its not really a bad job. look for my thread on intake manifold gasket replacement. the help i got from the members was right on. while i had intake off i changed valve cover gaskets. i only had 34,000 on my 93 when i had to do this. just take your time follow the manual and before you know it your done. whatever you do buy some "Right Stuff" made by permatex for the ends of intake and use it. it really does work. its a little expensive about $12.00 for small can but you will not have to worry about doing this job again. i plan on using it when i assemble my Big Block intake for my el camino. anyway good luck.

I'm with urleycay - I have to redo the intake manifold because I didn't use the right stuff, and it is leaking. Also, permatex makes an aerosol gasket remover which will probably help

NO NO

Whatever you do do not replace the Mobile 1 with a heavier non synthetic oil. There was a reason GM required Mobile 1 or at least a full synthetic oil. When GM went to the LT1 engine they removed the oil cooler. GM in testing found out that the engine with synthetic oil ran the same temperature as the L98 ran with an oil cooler. In the early days of synthetic oils the gaskets in the engines were not the quality of later gasket materials so the story got around that if you put in a synthetic oil the gaskets would leak oil. This was partially true at the time but when GM started to recommend synthetic in the LT1 all the gasket issues had been resolved by time and research. If you are having oil leaks they are probably the results of age and lack of the engine running and keeping them pliable. My 93 has a minor leak that shows up in the winter on the garage floor but when I run the car in the heat of the summer it drys up until the next winter;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom