Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Oil Level

mike82

Corvette
L82 Pace
i've changed the oil on my '78. i know it's 4 qrts. for the crankcase and 1 qrt for the new filter, so i add 5 qrts but when i check the dipstick for level it reads about 3/4" above full. anybody have a guess why, 'cause i sure don't.......;shrug

As for "1 qrt for the new filter'...that's only true for the PF1218. If you use the short filter it's only about 1/2 a qt.

Oil Filter Capacity.

I noticed that the PF1218 filters became a little smaller, is AC delco saving a little metal on each filter?
Also I fill the filter with oil than screw it on but someone said that's a waste on time since the oil goes thru the block first, is that true? PG.

As for "1 qrt for the new filter'...that's only true for the PF1218. If you use the short filter it's only about 1/2 a qt.

hey Hib, i do use the 1218, but i did not take a full quart to fill it either. maybe AC-DELCO is saving some money.

I noticed that the PF1218 filters became a little smaller, is AC delco saving a little metal on each filter?
Also I fill the filter with oil than screw it on but someone said that's a waste on time since the oil goes thru the block first, is that true? PG.

I've read posts by a GM engr. that recommends filling the filter. I noticed that the pressure does come up faster when I do.

i too fill the filter before i attach to the block. some may cringe,but i also tighten the filter to where it's just snug by hand,,,,,never had a problem with leaks.

I cringed. I always go for the recommended turns on the filter. Usually 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

I have the exact same problem.

I have a 1970 vette, and the owners manual, and shop manual says 5 quarts.

I completely drained the block through the oil pan drain plug, I then put five quarts into the engine (one of the 5 quarts I used to fill the new filter (normal short style ACDeloc filter) the remainer of which when into the block.

I started the eninger, got the oil pressure up and took the car for a drive. . .thinking I have the correct amount of oil in the car.

The next morning I went out to start the car. . .but before I did, I decided to double check the oil level. . .and was horrified to see that I was 3/4" above the FULL mark on the dipstick!!! I quickly removed about a 1/2 quart from the block and got the level down to FULL. What gives? Is 5 quarts too much. . .or is my dipstick just way off. . .or the wrong one for the car. It looks like it's origional. . .but I cannot verify.

I would suspect the dipstick or the dipstick tube that comes out of the block. Is this the first oil change you've done?

hey Hib, i do use the 1218, but i did not take a full quart to fill it either. maybe AC-DELCO is saving some money.

Ok, we're splitting hairs here.

I just put a 1218 on my 400 SBV8. I prefilled it and it took, like...3/4-7/8 of a quart.

When I got the car. . .I believe it had the origional upper dipstick guide tube and the correct dipstick.

I changed the oil the second I took ownership. . .but I used the dipstick as the reference. I put about 5 quarts of oil in when I did it the first time. . .to get it to the right level.

Because the dipstike guide tube was loose. I had a new "correct" one put into the block. I noticed that when I got the car back that the oil level was lower then when it went in. I compared another "new correct" tube to my origional only to find out that it was longer than my origional. . .which would naturally make my oil level seem low. that was all fine and I just figured I would etch the stick to the correct level on the next oil change.

Then my latest disater occured and I had to have yet a new dipstick guide tube replaced. . .and that seemed to lower the oil level further.

Then while driving arorund the other day. . .I noticed that my oil pressure was diping quite a bit on sharp turns. I imediatly deduced that my oil level was low. . .and was evedently droppion in conjunction with my dipstick woes.

So at this time I had NO idea what the correct level setting was. All I know is that I was low on oil. . .and my dipstick wasn't in the factory stock location. . .if my origional equipment was infact origional equiment in the first place.

Evendently my engine burning oil is somewhat normal for a fresh rebuild. . .if the rings haven't seated yet. (Still under 2,000 miles on the car).

So I did research into how much oil the car is supposed to take. . .and everything said 5 quarts for a 350 SB.

So I ran the car to heat the oil. . .then jacked up the front end. . .drained the pan, and let the car sit for 20 minutes to let it drain completely. After the drain, I buttoned her up. . .chagned the filter, and added exactly 5 quarts to the engine. Only to find out that the OIL is not 3/4" above the full line.

Now, all things being equal (longer dipstick tub. . .that is not seated all the way). . .my dipstick should read low!! But instead it reads WAY FULL. So now I'm completely paranoid about the oil level in the car. . .and I removed approx 1/2 quart and it's now at the full line.

I'm just really confused. It's almost as if I had not drained all the oil out of the car. . .

BTW: The oil pressure is not constant.

Forgot to ask if you have the correct oil pan. That could explain the inconsistency.

PS: Did you mean it read 3/4" above the full line after the refill?

yes 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above the FULL line after the re-fill.

I believe the oil pan is correct.

Oil level.

On my stock 74 350 the stick reads ADD 0 I I O FULL.
That's add, a space, than a dot and more space than another dot, than the word full. When I change the oil the level reaches the "F" in full. Thats with a PF 1218 and 5 quarts of oil. I change my oil every 3 months which for me is about or less than 2500 miles. During those three months I will ad 4 to 8 oz to bring the level to the top line. My car burns about 1 quart in about every 2000 miles but I always try to keep it at the top full line and never refill it to the "F" in full as it is after a 5 quart oil change. PG.

Ineresting. Is your 74 totally origional stock?

The reason I ask is because my block is (i believe) a 74 LT-1. My dip stick is exactly the same as yours. When I change the oil I thought it went up to the "U" in full. . .but I'll have to re-check to see if it wasn't really the "F". At any rate, it was past the full circle indicator.

Using a oil extraction pump (used for my boat) I removed a 1/2 quart to get it down to the FULL line.

-JR

The reason I ask is because my block is (i believe) a 74 LT-1.

Using a oil extraction pump (used for my boat) I removed a 1/2 quart to get it down to the FULL line.

-JR

The last LT1 was built in 1972. In any case there's no difference in an LT1 block and any other SBC from the era, all bog standard 3970010 castings that went into mom's grocery getter, dump trucks and Corvettes.

1/2 quart of oil is nothing to get excited about. Most engines can go at least 1 qt. over and 2 qts under with no ill effect.

You could have a wrong dipstick tube, wrong length dipstick, wrong capacity oil pan.

OR

When you check the oil in the morning before driving the car, all of the oil as dripped into the pain, making the dipstick read high. When you're out driving, oil has been pumped through the block and will make the dipstick read low.

Put in your 5 quarts with the engine cool. Check the dipstick. Whatever the dipstick reads is your full mark. You know you have 5 quarts. Drive and be happy. (just occasionally check the oil level in relation to the mark you know is correct).

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom