Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Oil on exhaust manifold bolt & spark plug???

retired ralph

Corvette
1974 White
74 350 SB. I pulled the 3rd manifold bolt off to detail the A/C bracket and it had oil on the threads. #4 (2nd cyl. on right.) Also the spark plug had oil on it. The good news is the compression is 170! Iam hoping it's only a head gasket. The engione was rebuilt around 15000 miles ago. Let me know your opinion. Thanks Ralph

Not a valve cover gasket

The oil on the bolt is at the tip and the plug has oil at the spark end in the cylinder. I guess I'll have to pull the head. Any advise? Thanks for responding. Ralph

I saw this in another post with pics. You don't have head gasket problem, at a minimum you have valve seal issues. As I recall, all the plugs looked the same right? That being the case, it's either the valve stem seals or probably more likely, rings were installed upside down.

Whoa, whoa...
If the rings were "upside down" the engine would not only burn oil, but a lot of oil, like...a quart every 100 miles or so.

A little oil in the tip of an exhaust manifold bolt is nothing to worry about. If the spark plugs have been in the engine a while, oil on the threads below the tapered sealing service is common.

The important question is the engine's oil consumption. You said you had the engine rebuilt 15,000 miles ago. Since then, how much oil have you added.

Oil consumption

I have added about a 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. The #4 plug is the only one with oil on it. I suspect its a valve seal. I hope!

A quart every 6000 miles?

You have no oil consumption problem. Put the exhaust bolt back in then wipe of the plugs and reinstall them.

As I said earlier, a little oil on the bolt end and oil on the plug threads is not unusual.

Hib, your not getting "The rest of the story" here. The OP posted this issue on another site (nothing wrong with that) and posted pics of the plugs. They were oil fowled pretty badly and wet too. He said all of them were like that. That's why my thought is that there might be a valve stem seal problem or one of the rings on each piston upside down. If it were only a manifold bolt, I'd be suggesting valve cover gaskets and such...

The engine discussed here on the CAC does not have an oil consumption problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom